Chapter Five

"What can you tell me about Christina's condition?" Corrie asked.

Hannah smiled, freckles playing across the bridge of her nose. "Well, I'm not a nurse, but I help Alex so I have a pretty good idea of what's happening. Alex doesn't really know what to do. Her leg is healing well, but Alex is afraid the bones grew together in such a way that she may never be able to walk again. He has hope that since she's an adult she has more strength to fight off this new bout of pneumonia, but if you ask me..." the girl's voice trailed off, and Corrie bit her lip. "Well, to fight the sickness off, she has to actually want to recover."

With a sigh, Corrie's shoulders sagged. How could Christina recover if she didn't wish to? "Thank you for your candor. If you don't mind, I'd like to sit with her for a while."

"Of course," Hannah responded, a smile returning to her bright features. "Feel free to come and go anytime you please. Christina is our only inpatient until the injured soldiers come."

Corrie nodded her thanks and walked to Christina's room. She knocked lightly on the door though it was open. When she heard Christina's soft "come in," she entered. Sunlight streamed from a curtained window, casting warm hues across Christina's ashen features in startling incongruity. Christina smiled at the sight of her sister and propped herself up on her elbows.

"You're looking better this morning, Chris," Corrie commented though she wasn't sure the statement was true.

"If I do, it's because you're here. You, Hannah, and Jack are the only things I have to look forward to these days."

Corrie reached out and took Christina's hand, squeezing it. "I'll be here every day until you're better."
A relieved smile brightened Christina's face. "Really? You're sure?"

"Absolutely." Corrie smiled and set the book she had brought for Christina onto the bed. "I brought you something."

Christina picked up the book, stroking the leather-bound hardcover. Corrie had saved up for weeks to purchase Christina the book: La Vagabonde by the rising French author Collette.

"For me?" Christina asked, her pale eyes childlike and wide.

Ever since Christina started school, she had been enamored with the French language. She had received highest marks in all of her French classes and had exhausted the school's small library of French books. When she had the extra money, Corrie tried to bring her a French novel or two.

"Collette," Christina whispered. "I've heard of her work. Thank you so much, Cor!"
Corrie smiled. "Of course. You'll have to tell me about it; my French is a little rusty."

"Yes, yes, of course! I'm going to start reading it today!" Christina exclaimed, flipping open to the first page exuberantly.

"At least wait till I'm out of the room," Corrie teased.

The grateful expression on Christina's face soothed any of Corrie's lingering regrets about leaving New York so abruptly. Corrie sat next to Christina on the bed, letting her sister's head rest on her shoulder. Their sun-kissed reverie, however, was broken by the sounds of a quarrel in the hallway. Corrie stood up, careful not to jar Christina's injured leg, and walked to the door.

"This plant is used by native healers all over America for healing infection! Just let me give it to her!" one voice insisted.

"Alex said that he has to approve all treatments, and since he's not here, you'll just have to wait to give it to her until he gets back," Hannah was responding.

Corrie glanced down the hallway and laughed outright. Jacqueline Harrison, or Aunt Jack as she was more affectionately known by her nieces, was standing in the hallway in a pair of men's coveralls, a blouse, and a straw hat tied around her neck. One hand was on her hip and the other carried a basket filled with a flowered plant.