Chapter Twenty Four

"Well, I don't like him already," Hannah declared staunchly as she took a bite from her sandwich.

Luckily, Dr. Benjamin was occupied the day Corrie announced Edwin's impending arrival to her friends. Though Christina had not openly expressed her disapproval, Corrie had always known Christina was skeptical of their courtship. Corrie had to admit that her relationship with Edwin paled in comparison with Christina's with David.

"Hannah," Christina reprimanded.

"What? I don't like this Mr. McAlister. He doesn't speak to you for months, and now he's going to show up here out of nowhere? What kind of beau is he?"

Corrie smiled softly though shame chased her. "We can't all be as lucky as you and Mr. Fletcher."

"Still, it's not fair to you. You deserve someone who knows you and really treasures you."

The face that instantly appeared in Corrie's mind brought an unwanted blush to her face. "Edwin's very busy and has little time to write letters."

One hand on her hip, Jack asked, "What I want to know is why he hasn't joined the army. Hasn't he signed up for the draft?"

The blush on Corrie's face intensified with embarrassment. "He...he didn't have to sign up for the draft because of his family."

The ire on her friends' faces forced Corrie to look away from them. She wasn't proud that Edwin had bought his way out of the draft, but she also understood; he hadn't wanted to interrupt his law degree. On the other hand, thousands of men had left their families and careers to go to war. Hadn't she abandoned her degree for her sister and the war? Why was Edwin somehow more important than they?

"Just give him a chance," Corrie pleaded. "He was so kind to me in New York, and he was there for me when I was alone."

"We will, Cor," Christina assured her, squeezing her hand.

Corrie closed her eyes for a moment, steeling her composure. She could see the pity in the downward turn of Christina's eyes, and it made her angrier and more ashamed than she wanted to admit. It wasn't her fault that Edwin didn't love her as much as David loved Christina; it wasn't her fault he was a coward; it wasn't her fault he'd barely spoken to her in months. 

Corrie rose from her seat and excused herself to get some fresh air; she could no longer endure the pity or the shame. Leaning against the wall in the hallway, Corrie drew a steadying breath and let the murmur of conversation fade into the background. Edwin would be arriving this afternoon, and she was still an undecided wreck.

"Hello?" a voice called from the entrance of the practice.

Corrie was instantly afraid it would be Dr. Benjamin and then reassured herself that he wouldn't call out for someone in his own practice. When Hannah didn't emerge from Christina's room, Corrie straightened her skirt, gathered her composure, and walked to the foyer.

The man standing before her startled her into stillness. "Ed...Edwin?"

She felt the blood drain from her blanched face as she took in the dapper young man she hadn't seen in months. Despite his long train trip, his suit was pressed and pinstriped with double buttons. He wore a hat with a matching cane, and his dark hair and mustache were groomed to perfection. He smiled when he saw her, his teeth dazzling.

"Cornelia!" He tossed aside his cane and rushed to her, taking her by the shoulders and kissing her on both cheeks.

Completely startled, Corrie stood immovable as he greeted her, unable to respond in word or deed. Edwin was here, standing in front of her. His expression was jovial and charming, and she remembered why she had been captivated by the man in the very beginning.