Chapter Twenty Two

"Dr. Howard, thank you so much for your kindness," Corrie exclaimed, shaking his hand.

"Of course, Miss Walker," he answered with a tight-lipped smile.

With Dr. Benjamin assisting Christina, the five of them boarded the train bound for Irvington amidst the burning heat of early August. Christina was now able to stand and, with assistance, take a few steps at a time. The medicine, while not bringing about her full recovery, had renewed her strength and alleviated her fever and chest pain.

Corrie and the others found seats inside the train, listening to the hiss as the locomotive released steam and lurched into motion. This return trip was marked by a far different attitude among the band of friends than the original trip to Richmond. Corrie remembered the desolation and hopelessness she'd felt when bringing Christina to see the doctor, the knowledge that this may be Christina's last hope. Now, Dr. Walker had given Christina a second chance.

Hannah sighed. "I'm so glad we're finally going home."

"Me too," Christina added wistfully.

Corrie leaned her head against the window, her breath fogging the glass. Home. She wasn't sure if she really understood the term--home was not Irvington or New York City. Home was when she had hidden in a tree as a child with a book and read for hours in the middle of the day. Home was the smile on Christina's face that transformed her into a beacon of delight. Home was even becoming Aunt Jack's antics, Hannah's impassioned soliloquies, and Dr. Benjamin's quiet kindness.

"I'm so anxious to get back to the newspaper," Hannah declared with an impatient huff. "I'm sure Mr. Booker's done a fine job without me, but I've missed it."

With a mischievous light in her eyes, Christina asked, "Are you sure the newspaper's all you've missed? What about your Mr. Fletcher?"

Warmth glowed on Hannah's face and she swatted Christina's arm playfully. Corrie nearly laughed aloud at the way Dr. Benjamin's ears perked up at the mention of Hannah's beau.

"You're just anxious to get your letters from David," Hannah grumbled back at her.

Christina without embarrassment nodded. "I can't wait. Plus, I need to catch up on what's happening in the war now that I'm feeling better."

Corrie frowned. "You're not going to throw yourself into the war like you did before. We can't have you getting sick again."

"Fine, but I'm still going to help Hannah as much as I can," Christina said with an eyeroll.

"I, for one, am anxious to get back to work at the munitions factory," Jack announced.

"Why?" Hannah asked, wrinkling her nose.

"With all of our sitting around in Richmond, I've grown weak. I need to get back to work; I'm sure they've missed me. I was their second best employee after all."

More seriously, Corrie added, "I saw signs all through Richmond recruiting women to take over jobs for the men who've been drafted. I suppose we'll all be put to work."

"Well, I already have the newspaper, and Jack works at the factory, so you're the only one without a job, Corrie," Hannah teased.

"Yes, we all know how lazy my sister is," Christina goaded and Corrie just laughed.

She realized that a job might do her some good, give her something to preoccupy her restless thoughts.

"I was hoping Miss Walker would help me in the hospital, with Hannah otherwise occupied," Dr. Benjamin said, his face grave and his eyes trained on Corrie.