Chapter Twelve

Corrie appreciated the fact that Dr. Benjamin had not minced words or veiled the truth from her, but all she could hear him saying was, "I can give you no promises." Christina may fully recover, or she may never recover.

"Thank you for your candor," Corrie finally murmured.

"Miss Walker, may I be frank with you?" Dr. Benjamin asked, recalling her gaze.

His eyes, dark blue and still like the waters of the bay, had lost their humor and spoke only solemnity. "Of course," she murmured though she thought he had been frank enough for one day.

"I think recovery is fully within Christina's grasp," he said, and Corrie felt her entire body bloom with hope as if she were a wilting flower in need of rejuvenating water.

"Really?" she asked breathlessly.

"I do." He nodded. "It's her..her state of mind that I'm concerned about. I understand that she has endured a lot, especially with David Marshall joining the war. I also understand that your parents have been less than supportive. When you were absent, she was largely listless and depressed, and Hannah and your aunt were the only people she would speak to. I can see a marked difference in her morale since you've returned." Dr. Benjamin hesitated. "I'm reticent to say this, Miss Walker, but I feel it's my duty as her doctor. She needs you. She needs someone who loves and cares about her to be by her side, supporting her through her recovery."

Corrie nodded; she'd realized the same thing as soon as she'd arrived. She had committed to staying in Irvington until Christina recovered even if that was long after the war. Were her parents kinder or David here to care for her, Corrie might contemplate returning sooner to New York and Edwin, but Corrie was Christina's one and only lifeline.

"That's been my plan since I saw her condition, Doctor."

"I'm very sorry that you'll have to put aside your studies," he added, and his face looked as downcast as she had been.

Corrie smiled. "You're very kind. If anything, putting off my formal studies is only pushing me to pursue my aspirations privately."

"Are you an avid reader of poetry, Miss Walker?"

"I am," Corrie said with a nod. "Or, I try to be."

"Then let me support your pursuit of knowledge," he said with a lopsided grin. "I have quite the collection of poetry in the second story of our home. Please, borrow a few of the books while you are here."

"Oh, I couldn't!" Corrie exclaimed.

As soon as he said the words, however, she was instantly assessing her own meager collection of poetry books. If he loved poetry as much as he seemed to, she could only imagine what his library must be like.

"But you must. Consider it payment for your volunteer work at the hospital," he implored, eyes eager.

"Well, if you insist," Corrie said hesitantly.

"I do. I'll even bring you a few of my favorite editions tomorrow, assuming you'll be here?"

"Thank you, that would be wonderful!" Corrie exclaimed, her reticence to accepting his generosity fading.

"It's my pleasure."

~~~~~

Though she had not yet received a response from her most recent letter, Corrie knew she needed to pen another missive to Edwin. She had known almost as soon as she had arrived that this was no temporary vacation as Edwin seemed to think it was. As the doctor had implied, she needed to stay by Christina's side until she either recovered or... Corrie refused to entertain the alternative.