Chapter Thirty Four

Corrie ended the call and breathed a deep sigh. She recognized the feeling: relief, relief that she was free of the man whose true colors she had finally seen. Without Edwin, she would have freedom and independence, and perhaps someday even happiness. Corrie leaned her head against the wooden box of the phone. Though she was nearly dizzy with relief, the familiar nagging pragmatism warned her of the chaos to come once the town heard of her terminating the engagement. Though the end of the engagement had been the result of mutual discord, Corrie would receive the majority of the blame. After all, she was the one who was unwilling to leave behind her home and her family.

"Cornelia? What happened?"

Anita's voice jerked Corrie from her troubled contemplations as she remembered that her mother had witnessed her side of the entire conversation. She sighed again as she realized she would immediately have to face the consequences of her decisions.

"Edwin and I have ended the engagement," Corrie answered, her voice level.

Anita's emerald eyes widened, veins visible beneath her pale skin. "Have you gone mad?" she sputtered. "You've ended the engagement?"

Corrie nodded. "Yes. Edwin wanted me to move to New York right away, and I refused." Corrie didn't tell her mother about Edwin's outburst; she still cared enough about the man to spare his reputation at the expense of her own.

"Why would you do something so...so idiotic?" Anita exclaimed, eyes still alarmed. "Call him back! Call him back and beg his forgiveness. We'll send you on the next train to New York."

"Mother, I'm not marrying him!" Corrie cried more adamantly. "The decision has already been made."

"What kind of foolish child do you think you are, throwing a tantrum because your fiance asks for something you don't wish to do? What do you think marriage is?" Anita demanded and Corrie cringed.

"I'm not a child. I'm an adult, and this is my decision."

Anita's voice dropped. "Do you know what you've done? Everyone in the town will know. Your father and I will be forever shamed because of what you've done, and you, you will be fated to live alone for the rest of your life! Your reputation is forever sullied."

Her mother's judgment so closely echoed her own fears that Corrie shuddered; she knew the future was dark, yet she hoped that at least Christina would escape the censure to be directed at their family. Her father, she knew, would disown her if necessary to regain the town's trust and esteem. Perhaps she would be ostracized alongside Aunt Jack.

"I'm well aware of the consequences of my actions," Corrie explained. "You have to believe that I only made this choice because there were no other alternatives. Please, you need to believe me," Corrie pleaded, imploring Anita for a shred of consolation and understanding though she knew it to be futile.

Anita squared her shoulders and raised her chin. "The only thing I believe is that you have ruined your life by ending this engagement, and I need to go spread the news myself to ensure the least amount of judgment is incurred. Someone needs to care for our reputation."

Anita spun on her heel and left the house, the slam of the door echoing through the empty foyer. Corrie embraced the quietude and emptiness and retreated to her room to gather her thoughts. As she sat on her bed, her journal and fountain pen displayed in front of her, she tried to repress the sorrow that threatened to overtake her. Why was she sad? Edwin had treated her vilely, like an object, not a woman. Yet she felt as if she were mourning him, mourning who she once thought he was, and the future he offered.

She started to write, expressing the conflicting emotions within her: sorrow, despair, hopelessness, relief, freedom, desire. For a few minutes, the situation was within her control and understanding. She reveled in the brief moment of peace that she knew would fall to shreds in the coming weeks.