Chapter Thirteen

Corrie lifted the white sheet and watched it fall lazily onto the bed, catching the warm sunlight flowing through the hospital window. It was now the very end of May, and the war effort had reached even the farthest corners of Irvington. She and Dr. Benjamin had spent the last few weeks preparing his medical practice to be a makeshift hospital when the injured troops arrived.

"Another room ready to go?" Dr. Benjamin asked, and Corrie turned to see him leaning in the doorway wearing an unbuttoned white medical coat.

"Yes sir," Corrie answered with a mock salute, brushing loose strands of copper hair from her eyes. "What's my next assignment?"

"Well, Mrs. Collins is coming in for an appointment this afternoon, but what I'd really like to do is create an inventory of all of the medicine I currently have. We need more morphine, and I'd like to get more cleaning supplies. Some doctors these days are saying that hygiene might do as much to help with infection as medicine."

"If you tell me what to write, I can make a record," Corrie agreed, falling into sync with the doctor as they walked down the hallway side by side.

"That would be perfect. You've been indispensable these last few weeks, Miss Walker," Dr. Benjamin praised her, and Corrie revelled for a moment in his sunny smile and bright eyes.

Her discomfort with the doctor had evaporated as she spent nearly every day quietly working beside him. Once she realized he was trustworthy, Corrie had learned to enjoy his company--the constant whistling, boyish smiles, and unaffected charm.

"It's really no trouble, especially after all you've done for my sister," Corrie answered, smiling up at him without reserve.

"Well, don't tell her this, but Christina's my favorite patient. And your help here has more than made up for any inconvenience she's caused."

"So what would you like me to do?"

"First, I would like you to sit down and eat lunch," he announced with a smile. "I think Hannah and your aunt are coming as well."

"Oh, that's wonderful. And will you join us?" Corrie asked, yearning for the doctor's agreeable company.

"I believe I can make time in my schedule," he answered with a playful grin. "Besides, I have yet to ask you your opinion on that Burns poem I recommended."

"Oh, I loved it. Everytime I read his work, I want to go to Scotland," Corrie answered, glancing out the window as if she could somehow catch sight of the magical country.

"He certainly manages to inspire an affinity for the place, doesn't he?" Dr. Benjamin commented, his eyes on her.

Corrie refocused on him and asked, "Have you traveled, Dr. Benjamin?"

"When I was very young, shortly after Hannah was born. We went to England to see some of my father's family. I haven't been to Scotland yet, but maybe someday, once Hannah is established and the war is over."

For a moment, both Corrie and the doctor were lost in thoughts of what could be. Corrie knew it was unlikely that she would ever be able to travel; Edwin, though he had the means, had no desire to leave New York City, and she did not have the personal funds to travel far from Virginia by herself. Perhaps dreams are meant to remain dreams, she mused.

"I'm here!"

The boisterous voice of Aunt Jack interrupted their reflection as they turned to see a woman's figure coated in black from head to toe.

"Aunt Jack, you could at least clean off before coming in. Now I must rescrub all of the floors," Corrie complained.

With so many men gone to serve overseas, the government had begged women to take up their mantle by serving in factories and on farms. Though Jack had the financial means to avoid such a job, she had decided to work at a munitions factory a few miles away.