Chapter Fifteen

Summer 1917

 Corrie straightened her satin dress and sighed as she looked in the mirror; the dress was a pale mint green that matched her eyes, and though the tight empire waist was restrictive, she loved the way the skirt billowed to above her ankles.

Her father's party was in support of the war effort, and the wealthier members of Irvington would offer donations to be sent to the capital in support of the soldiers. Anita was also accepting donations of extra food rations to be sent to the front lines. Despite the pretense, Corrie knew the event was just another of her father's extravagant parties. Still, with Dr. Benjamin and Hannah joining her, she found herself anticipating the event with greater excitement than most of her father's other fetes.

"Cornelia! Your friends have arrived!" her mother called from the foyer, and Corrie rushed from the room.

From the top of the stairs, she could see Dr. Benjamin as well as Hannah and her escort, Mr. Fletcher, standing at the doorway just inside the foyer. Corrie felt a flutter in her stomach as she descended the staircase, her hand on the balustrade for support. When the pair of siblings turned at the sound of her slippers padding down the stairs, Corrie's eyes flickered to Dr. Benjamin's and then back down to her feet. She berated herself for the flush of pleasure she felt at the look of admiration on his face. Corrie wanted to deny the feelings that blossomed in his presence, but she found repudiation difficult when faced with Dr. Benjamin's upstanding benevolence towards both her and her sister.

Drawing in a sharp breath and placing a hand on the waist of her dress, Corrie offered them a smile. Dr. Benjamin strode to her quickly.

"Miss Walker, you look stunning," he complimented with a wide grin.

He touched her waist and leaned in to plant a chaste kiss on her temple. Corrie felt her face flame at the courteous touch and praise, and she floundered for words. Luckily, Hannah was beside her in an instant, and Corrie used the girl's embrace as time to gather her composure.

"Shall we go?" Dr. Benjamin asked, gesturing to the open door.

"Of course," Corrie nodded, and when Dr. Benjamin offered his arm, she took it without hesitation.

The event was held in the church under Reverend Smalley's competent supervision, and Corrie could already hear the syncopated rhythm of ragtime music. Despite the raging war in Europe, the music was lighthearted and the atmosphere cheery as Dr. Benjamin escorted her inside.

"Your father organized this entire event?" Dr. Benjamin asked, eyes scanning the red, white, and blue flags lining all four walls of the church and the small brass band playing ragtime.

"Indeed," Corrie answered, glancing up at him. "He'll use anything as an excuse to hold a celebration."

"Well, perhaps we all need a reminder of the men fighting overseas."

Corrie fought a frown as she observed the gaiety before them. "This only reminds me of frivolity and excess, not magnanimity."

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw the doctor smile at her. Standing next to him with her arm looped in his brought a flush to her face, and Corrie suddenly broke loose from him.

"If you'll excuse me, I'm going to fetch some punch," she declared and walked briskly away from him.

As she grasped the cup filled with punch, she took a deep, steadying breath. Corrie had always prided herself on her pragmatism and ability to keep her emotions in check, but around Dr. Benjamin, she felt her emotions slipping out of her control. He was so unassuming, kind, and polite, yet also honest and genuine. Corrie admired him as a person, but her affection for him as a man was starting to impede her ration.