Chapter Eleven

By the time Corrie had prepared to go to Dr. Benjamin's office the next day, she was much less frazzled and had managed to abolish the echo of the doctor's voice in her head. Though he was not what she'd expected, Corrie chose to appreciate his sincerity and joviality rather than dwell on his warm voice and wide smile.

When Corrie arrived at the hospital, the door was open and warm rays of sunlight danced across the wooden floors of the office. The waiting room was already filled with those impatient to see the doctor upon his return, and Corrie paused to observe the masses clamoring for his attention. A head taller than most of his patients, Corrie could just catch sight of Dr. Benjamin's unperturbed features and ready smile as he greeted each person by name. When he caught sight of Corrie at the door, he smiled to her and waved a hand.

Corrie offered him a smile and quietly slipped towards Christina's room. She wouldn't deem to impose on his time when he was obviously so busy. Perhaps their conversation would have to wait for another day. Corrie opened the door and greeted her sister and settled into her regular chair.

"What's all the ruckus?" Christina asked, gesturing towards the chaos.

"The waiting room is overflowing with patients for the doctor," Corrie explained. "He's only been here for a year, yet he already seems so beloved by the town."

Christina smiled. "It's no wonder. He's a wonderful doctor. Plus, he always treats everyone kindly, even Mrs. Herbert when she comes in once a day with a new ailment just because she wants someone to talk to. Dr. B sits with her a few minutes and sends her on her way."

Corrie couldn't help but laugh. "That's kind of him."

"He's very kind. But tell me, how is it that you two have met before?"

Corrie glanced suspiciously at her sister and saw the familiar sparkle of mischief in her eye. "I'm afraid it's no salacious tale as you seem to suspect," Corrie explained. "I merely spoke to him briefly while I was walking home from visiting you my first night back in town. I had no idea who he was."

"And what was it he said about stars? What exactly did the two of you talk about?"

Again, Corrie sighed. There was no hiding anything from her sister, no matter how brief and innocent the conversation had been. "He saw me looking at the stars and commented on how beautiful the sky was. I didn't even see him watching," Corrie added.

"That's so romantic," Christina gushed. "Not to mention the two of you finishing that poem together yesterday."

Corrie grimaced. "Christina."

"What? You have to indulge me, my not-yet fiance is in Europe fighting," Christina added with a dramatic sigh.

"Filling your head with frivolous sentimentality isn't going to help," Corrie said sharply. "You know I'm courting Edwin, so to suggest anything untoward would be entirely inappropriate."

Christina glowered at Corrie's sharp rebuke, and Corrie caught her breath, realizing how much of her own internal tension she had just released on her sister. In all of her disappointment over hearing nothing from Edwin and her surprise at meeting Dr. Benjamin, not to mention her conflict with her parents, concern for Christina, and worry about her future, her carefully concealed anxiety had finally declared itself.

"I'm sorry," she instantly apologized, reaching out to touch her sister's arm. "That was completely unlike me. I just..." Corrie hesitated, wondering whether she should admit her concerns over Edwin. "Edwin and I...well, we're still figuring out how to navigate the new distance between us."

Christina smiled softly. "If anyone understands distance, it's me. David is on his way to Europe, after all." Christina's words flooded Corrie with guilt; while Christina's suitor was going to war, Edwin was living frivolously in New York, and still David found time to write to Christina. "If you and Edwin are meant to be, you'll make it through the time apart."