Chapter 4: Confusion

Snape was baffled upon what happened to Ha- no.. Potter. He did noticed that Potter looked sickly pale but he paid no attention to it. But, for some reason he's concerned now for what had occurred.

Since when do I care about the green eyed brat?  thought Snape. It was worrisome as he remember the look at Potter's face when he was in immerse pain.

He decided to pay the hospital matron a visit tomorrow to find out about the test results. It's most probably a stomach infection that Potter making a fuss about. He's probably overreacting to the pain, Snape decided- or rather, convinced himself. He knew deep down, and of course, as he himself had a background on Healing, that it wasn't just a simple infection. Stomach aches don't make your chest constricted, don't they?

Snape shook his head at his line of thoughts. He decided to focus upon the stomach relief potion he was making, and Poppy said she needed them tonight. He made the last stir and watched the liquid turn a darker shade of blue. It was perfect.

It had to be, Snape mused. He couldn't let Potter drink a useless potion now, could he?

Snape's eyes widened. He didn't just thought of that. No, no, and no. No. Poisonous or not, Potter may be allergic or not, who cares? Snape doesn't, that's for sure! But why on all Hells would he want Potter to feel good?! Or that the potion should work? Or just Potter would feel just plain better?

Why? Why? Why?  Snape took a moment to handle his thoughts. No, no, no. Not Potter. He wasn't doing this for Potter! Why would he?! The brat hated him, and Snape loathed him. Simple as that!

The alarm sounded and Severus cursed. He had promised Poppy to send the batch for Potter at 2 AM, and it was already five minutes after two in the morning. He quickly bottled them and sent them via a simple charm. He then waved a wand to clean up the mess and when satisfied, he turned to his quarters for a lie in.

Snape changed his robes to a simple white cotton shirt and a pair of black pajamas. He really needed to sleep, he still had to run an errand for that bloody Headmaster in Diagon Alley by dawn, and teach classes by ten. Really, he needed sleep.

But good gods, Severus found out he couldn't sleep a wink. His mind was filled with concern and worry for Lily's son, and Snape had found himself trying to remind his consciousness that Potter was the son of his rival, and the man who had made his Hogwarts years almost unbearable. It irked him to his wits' end. 3 AM, 4 AM, Five. The sky turned from dark to bright, the Castle bustling in a heartbeat. Severus left his bed in annoyance, and went to do his errand in Diagon Alley. By the moment he had breakfast, he was still as confused as ever. The feeling of sudden concern towards Harry Potter of all people made his head ache that he snapped at almost anyone including Minerva, who sent him a look saying he will have his reprimand later. Severus sent her a quick note saying he was sorry and that he will pass by her rooms later.

0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0

To his surprise and annoyance, Potter was released by Poppy that morning, and it means that there will be a probability that the brat will be there in his class. Snape snorted to himself, Oh yes, Severus, of course he'll pick your class to attend. Snape had learned earlier as Poppy had told him that Potter can only attend one class that day. As far as Snape knew, the fifth years had four classes that day: DADA, Transfiguration, Charms and Potions.

By eight twenty, a student entered the classroom. Severus looked froom his office door window to see who it is. His unruly hair, his Gryffindor tie. The round glasses. Snape gave in a lungful of air. POTTER?! Why is he here? The boy sat down and took out a book.

Does that mean Potter chose to attend my class?

Of all the...! Severus looked with curiousity at Potter. The boy was reading quietly, his eyes darting from one part of the page to the next.

"Good morning, Professor Snape," Har- Potter greeted him. Oh, yes, Severus groaned as he smacked himself mentally, he had to go out of his office where he was observing Potter and  take a seat on the teacher's table. Just then, Minerva, her face stern and accusing, appeared in Snape's mind. McGonagall, of all people, was the face of Severus' conscience. How would he know why?

What?! He mocked his mind, I didn't know that he was to attend my class!

Really, he didn't know, but to his surprise, he found himself asking Potter, "Why are you here?"

The boy gave him a small smile, "Madame Pomfrey said I can attend one class."

"And you chose mine?"

Potter suddenly looked fearful, "Yes. Yes, I did."

"Why is that?"

Potter was turning pale, "I can't attend classes that require tedious Magic usage, sir. My only choices therefore is yours and Umb- I mean, Professor Umbridge. I... I don't like her. She calls me a liar."

Snape grunted, "The only person not liar for Dolores Umbridge is herself."

Potter actually smiled sadly at that one, "I suppose. Hermione said the same thing. But I suppose it would have been forgivable if only she didn't use her bl-" Just then, Potter stopped himself and was actually pale. His green eyes were filled with terror. Snape's own squinted. Potter was about to say something back then. What was it?!

"Uhm..." Potter stammered, "...her bl- bl- bloody Ministry to defend everything she does. Even if they're wrong."

Snape looked at his student with suspicion. Bloody Ministry, huh? He was afraid to say that? What made him afraid to say it? Potter's brave, isn't he? Passionately so. Idiotically, too. He is both idiotically and passionately brave. Astounding all in all, is Potter's type of bravery.

"I suppose I can let your mouth slide for once, Potter. Because I can at least say that what you say is out of sentimentality of a student who was banned from playing Quidditch." Harry then watched Snape take a book from the shelf then have it floating towards him, "This is Most Potente Potions, Mister Potter. I have no other reading material that could occupy your time, for someone your age and your reading preferences. But you can read that for an hour and a half. I hope that you can understand it, although I expect that you won't. That textbook of yours looked like it had been flipped for Salazar knows how many times."

"Oh this?" Harry asked, holding up the book, "This is not mine. It's one of Ron's. But Molly gave it to me when I happen to stay in their home for a week before term. She said Ron hated the book, but she thought I might like it. But thanks for the book, Professor."

After a few moments of silence, Harry said, "I am sorry for what happened last night, during detention, by the way. I... I guess it wasn't just my day yesterday."

Snape only grunted in reply. During the course of an hour and a half, Harry Potter read the lent book and Snape graded his papers, but with his mind still confused over the way he had treated Potter just now and the concern he had for the boy yesterday.

----

Harry was relieved when he managed to cover up. He almost slipped letting Snape know that he was subjected to blood quill. An illegal quill that is.

He saw that Snape wasn't really buying it but let it slide. He prayed to Merlin. However, Harry was curious to know what's wrong with him. He knew it wasn't stomach infection. But, madame pomfrey did say that the test will take a week or a month so he'll just have to wait.

Harry held back a smirk when he saw the surprise look on Snape's face. Of course the dungeon bat couldn't believed that the gryffindor golden boy chose to attend Potions class of all classes.

Oh by the love of Merlin...

Most probably the dungeon bat didn't expect the gyffindor golden boy to choose to attend Potions class of all classes.. Oh well, madame pomfrey did say I can't do tedious magic work. Thought Harry.

He continued reading the Potions book given by Snape as time flies by.