Chapter 23: Panic ensues

There was sudden jolt that awakened Ezra. Being a spy all his life, he had half expected to be attacked by some assailant, but when another whimper was heard and he turned his head, he felt fear gripping every vein in his body.

Beside him was his son. Alec was stiff as a rock, while his hands and lips were tinged with blue.

And Ezra instantly knew what was going on.

Ezra could feel his panic attack was at the edge. He trembled as he watched his son moaned and groaned in pain. He was completely helpless. He reached out for his phone that was on his bedside and called the ambulance.

He glanced at Hunter, and his heart stopped.

The boy's consciousness was slipping away. His son reached out to him. Seeking his comfort. Ezra, with no hesitation, held the boy's hand and begged him to hang on as help is on the way. Oh, how he wish he could walk and rush his boy to the hospital.

'Where's the ambulance?! Damn it!'

The boy's body went limp. He fainted and help isn't here yet! Why must fate be so cruel to them? He held the boy's body as he waited for help.

For what seemed like hours, the help finally arrive. He sighed in relief as he saw paramedics bustling in. One of them helped him to his wheelchair while the rest of them carried Hunter on the stretcher. They got in the ambulance. Ezra waited anxiously as they were checking Hunter's pulse.

They arrived at the hospital and Hunter was rushed to the ER. Ezra could feel his heart pounding furiously. He couldn't erase the image of his son who was in pain and he could do nothing.

"Clear away, clear away!" A man shouted to the other people on the hospital's hallway.

He watched weakly as they plugged several chords on Hunter's frail body. The oxygen tank was put on, and how he wanted to push them away from Hunter. He felt every pierce of the needles on his son's skin, he felt his very own lungs go heavy and he felt the struggle of his boy as he watched Hunter fight for his every intake breath.

"Sir. Sir. Please, stay back," a man ordered Ezra as he saw him trying to get to Hunter's bedside.

How could they?

He wanted to refute it. He wanted to lash out, take everything out on the man. But he found his strength slip away from his body, and he was wheeled away from where Hunter was.

He watched, powerless, as Hunter became smaller and smaller, and soon enough, a far away mirage. The door of the Emergency Room was closed.

Ezra watched it all unfold without any word.

When he was left alone, he looked at the door, unbelieving of everything that was happening. It was happening all too fast, going too much out of hand.

How did everything went downhill in a split second? Where did he go wrong?

His eyes darted towards his legs, and he felt utmost revulsion building in the pit of his stomach. Without thinking, he pounded his legs as hard as he could.

He couldn't feel anything.

Again.

Nothing.

Then again, and again, and again.

Still, nothing.

He kept on pounding his fist until he felt it go numb, until he felt it tremble and his fingers in pain everytime he moves.

But still, nothing.

When the frustration and the suddenness of everything overtook him, Ezra cried. He cried for himself, but he cried mostly for his son. His boy, his young Alec. He didn't care if people would see him there, looking exactly as distraught as he feels. He knew that at that moment, it was the only thing he could do.