Chapter 12: The Problem with Toads

Snape should've expected this. He knew he should. He shouldn't really ignore his instincts, but he knew the moment that he arrived at Hogwarts that something was wrong-- so very, very wrong.

He arrived at the common Floo arrival point of Hogwarts, overlooking the school's courtyard, now laid with snow. There, he saw a sniffing and sobbing Sybil Trelawney picking up her discarded clothes on the floor. Then, Umbridge, in all her pink glory, was towering over her, Fudge and Albus up and about. McGonagall was shushing the Divination teacher and wiping her half frozen tears through her tartan plaid handkerchief. Umbridge was sporting a very smug look about her as she was obviously terrorizing poor Sybil.

Snape's heart trembled in his frame. Was she actally doing what he thinks she's doing?

"Ah, right on time, Professor Snape," Cornelius Fudge greeted as Severus approached the scene. Snape sneered at the Minister, who backed away like a sheep.

Snape took his customary place at Albus' left side. He hissed in the old man's ear, "What the hell is happening, Albus? Don't tell me she actually wants Sybil out of this school!"

Snape was shushed by the old man with a small tap on his shoulder. Severus suddenly felt his anger surge up.

How dare she?! How can she shove a respectable woman like Trewlaney to the dirt, and tower over her like she owns the poor woman's person? How can Albus watch all this unfold with calmness? And Minerva... Look at her, look at both of them! They are both cold in the snow!

Severus stared at them helplessly.

"Aha!" Umbridge cackled, "Hogwarts has no need for phonies, Madame Trelawney! Go on now. Go on. Out you go!"

Sybil howled, as if in pain. Severus felt for her. She may be a phony, but Sybil was a kindhearted soul. She would never hurt even a mere fly. Hogwarts was the only home she had. He had known Sybil for as far as he could remember.

"Get up, and do let her go, Minerva!" The Scottish witch glared at her and answered hotly, "You have no right to call--"

"Dolores. Dolores!" Finally, finally Albus spoke up. "Enough of this nonsense, now. Let Sybil go back. Hogwarts has known no other Divination teacher than Trelawney."

When Dolores opened her mouth to refute Albus, Snape smiled triumphantly when the old man cut her harshly, "No. I say no! Besides, if I recall correctly you aren't the headmaster or should I say headmistress? You hold no power over deciding who stays and who goes, Dolores. I won't have such sort of disrespect while I stay here as Hogwarts' Headmaster. Now, Sybil is to go in and continue her job."

Dolores held her head high and said, "Things aren't good as I thought they were. This won't last long, Dumbledore. I will make sure the Ministry does something about it. Mark my words." With that, Umbridge walked off while Minerva escorted Sybil back into the castle.

Snape followed Dumbledore. "Ah, Severus, my boy. Please do come with me to my office. I have to talk to you."

"Of course, Headmaster. I'll be right behind you"

Snape knew that Umbridge's threat shouldn't be taken lightly. She's after all, the Ministry Undersecretary. He had to think of an idea and he had to think fast. Before he realized, he and the headmaster had already reached the office.

They climbed the stairs silently with no words exchange. Neither of them spoke one word. Snape caught a glimpse of Dumbledore and notice that the man looked older than he did before.

They were in silence when Dumbledore spoke, "Severus. Have a sit. Lemon drops?" Snape shook his head and asked, "What is it that you wanted to talk about, headmaster?"