Chapter 25: Accepting Fate

"He needs to have oxygen on him all the time, or else he'll drown by his own breath," Cazalon says as monotonous as he could. Ezra took a moment to look at Hunter to see how he was taking it. The boy only lay there, his eyes fixed on the window, as if trying to take a good look on the busy street below.

"Hunter?" Cazalon tries to get the boy's attention.

But Hunter didn't move a muscle, but instead said, "And that's good, right? No more normal schooling, or even stairs for that matter. Can we install a lift, Dad?"

"This is no time for your humour, Alexander," Ezra says sharply, although not as sharp as he would like it to be, "Let Doctor Cazalon continue."

Charles gave a nod to Ezra as a sign of thanks. It would be rather awkward if they would continue their line of conversation after Hunter's statement. But it seems that Hunter wasn't finished, "I'd still like the lift, please. And a cool bag to go along with my oxygen tank."

Ezra sighed wearily. The boy had such a dark humour that Ezra found irritating and sad at the same time. He wondered if it was his influence on the child, and how he should feel about it if it was the case. Should he be proud, or guilty about it? But it did not matter now.

"Stop with your context of jokes, Hunter. Please. Keep it to yourself for now."

The boy did not say anything, but made a move to grasp Ezra's hand.

Ezra held it back, sensing that Hunter needed something and someone at that moment.

"I would also recommend for a personal nurse. Alice Montmer, do you remember her?"

Ezra nodded. She was the nurse who had taken care of Hunter when he was admitted last time.

"She's looking for a job, as a personal nurse. She's resigning this week, aand had been looking for a workplace near their home. I thought that you might agree. After all, you seem to need it."

Hunter looked at them and nodded firmly, then turned to his father, "She's nice."

Ezra was doubtful about that though. Not only do they not know her that well, it would mean inviting a stranger at their home. It would also mean that both of them were dependent now. It was a blow to Ezra, who was independent most of his life, and was a sign of weakness. He had swore to Alec that he would be the one to take good care of him, and to Ezra, having this Alice would be a breech to their promise.

Hunter squeezed his hand again. Ezra turned to him, "I need someone with me when you're in school. I would be bored if left alone, and I can't go to school with you. I would only feel out of place and bored to my wits' end there. Alice is good company."

How did Alec know about his thoughts and doubts? But then again, Alec was observant, and he made a point. A strong point.

"Fine. We'll set the arrangements with her."

Cazalon graced them with a smile, "Alright. She'll be very pleased with that. And her kid, too."

Ezra turned to Hunter darkly at the mention of 'kid'. His son was smiling widely, "You know of this, don't you?"

"Oh come on, Stacie's a bright kid. She's bubbly and smart," Hunter defended. Ezra let out a sigh.

"Alright, but she should only be there to keep you company as I work, and to help out at home when necessary. The kid better not be a pain, or I'll hold you responsible for it, Alexander."

Alec shrugged, "Sure."

"So..." By that time, Hunter turned his attention to the window again. Charles continued rambling about his medications and Hunter did not pay attention. He would rather go home and bask in the warm prescence of their house, and be held by his Dad as they lay on the couch and watch those weird but funny cartoons on the telly.