Chapter 21: Dad

Severus Snape awoke to the hushed voices over him, saying, "His son is in the room next door, you say?"

"Yes, sir," the voice different, but not unfamiliar. Snape remembers: Cazalon. "Hunter Hartford did not want to go back, sir, but I persuaded him to. The boy needs his rest, after all."

"Yes, well," Snape was still struggling to remember, "just tell me when he wakes. We need to check on him. Take care of yourself, Charles."

"Thank you, Mister Wells, and to you, as well."

Wells. Harrison Wells? What is that man doing here?

Where is he, anyway?

Memories assaulted him.

Hunter's first chemotherapy session. The boy asking him about James Potter and Lily. The boy shouting like mad, him answering back just as wildly.

A slap on the boy's cheek.

And Hunter's scared voice, shouting about a car coming their way... Screeches of tires, and a crash!

Hunter, bloody on the pavement, the boy looking lifeless...

His arms can't reach him.

'Hunter...'

"Hunter? Hunter! Hunter!" In a heartbeat, Ezra was shouting for his son, the son he wanted to see so badly. The son whom he slapped.

Oh God, did Alec... died? No, no, no, no, no! Heavens! Oh Alexander, be safe!

If he died, Ezra will never, never ever forgive himself.

Arms clutched his own, and a man was hovering over him. Ezra tried to fight back, but the man was stronger, "Mister Hartford! Mister Hartford, Hunter is alright. He is in the room next to yours, sir. It is me, it's me, Sir. Dr. Cazalon. Do you remember?"

"Cazalon?"

"Yes, sir."

"Where is Hunter?"

"He came by a few hours before, sir. He is resting right now."

"Alexander...he's alive?"

The man smiled, "Of course, Sir, both of you survived."

A wash of relief flooded his whole body.

"Will you tell him I'm awake, Doctor?" Ezra wanted to see his son, he wanted to hold Hunter tight. He must've been afraid, and feels overwhelmed by everything.

"Oh, yes, Sir. Definitely. I will have him wheeled here myself. If you'll excuse me, I'll tell him the good news."

Ezra nodded enthusiastically, his hand itching to have his boy back.

But when Charles Cazalon went out of the room, there was a sudden fear that wormed its way to Ezra's whole being. He paled, he clutched the sheets under his knuckles turned white. His brow had tons of beads of sweat falling, and he could feel every. Single. One.

Ezra gulped.

It can't be! It cannot be! This is a nightmare! Please, let it be a nightmare!

When he tried again, he can't. He just can't.

Goddamn. Goddamn. No. No. No, no, no, no, NO!

Ezra looked down.

His legs.

He cannot feel his legs.

He tried moving his legs once more in attempt to make it move hoping it's just a dream. He felt his panic attack on the edge as he realized he couldn't move them at all.