Chapter 34: Mending A Broken Heart

Odd. Very odd indeed.

Harry has been acting...well, like, Harry. Severus noticed it that very morning as the boy came down his room, dragging himself (and his ever constant companion- his oxygen tank in his trolley bag) and at least bestowed him a small look, one that was without disdain and hatred.

The boy dutifully poured him a cup of coffee, much to Severus' surprise. He then proceeded to give him a bowl of porridge, then passed him the sugar before serving himself.

"Harry," he called gently, expecting to find the boy growling at his throat at the moment he says his real name after so many years, but Harry turned, then only graced him with a small smile tugging at his lips ever so subtly, Snape could see that the smile was there.

"Yes, Dad?"

Oh, God. Severus' eyes widened with such width. Then he closed his eyes for a short second, relishing in the happiness it brought to him when he heard that word from Harry's lips. He opened his eyes and saw Harry approaching him. His mind was racing. Is the boy going to mock him? Without realising, he was enveloped in a hug and a kiss on his cheek. He looked at his son with wide eyes.

Is the boy telling him that he is forgiven?

Harry laid a warm hand on Snape's own, covering the once potions-stained fingers with his rough, boyish ones.

Somehow, it made Snape see Harry as the son he so missed.

It was like Harry was trying his hardest to reach out, to just seek his father out.

And Snape...well, he was found.

Green eyes captured those ethereal, dark eyes and Harry bestowed upon Snape such a loving caress on his cheek. It was soft, unsure, almost nervous, but Snape's heart was filled with so much surety and compassion and understanding and hope, and...love.

Harry moved to crouch in front of his father and then lunged himself at him, unable to keep himself away from the feeling of home that seemed to tug in his heartstrings ever so gently.

It felt so long ago since Harry had felt so secured. There was warmth, comfort, love, care. There was Severus, and wherever Severus was, Harry was home.

And yes, Harry forgives him. He forgives Snape for all he has done. He forgives him for being cruel, for telling Tom Riddle about the Prophecy, for not telling him about Sirius' death, for being himself.

Most of all, Harry found himself forgiving his own mistakes.

His error at not confiding in, about turning down people who truly cared for him, for hating his mother- as she threw herself in the middle of him and the Killing Curse; for blaming a much younger, more anger driven Snape, for letting himself hate his own father for being the young boy that he was.

Yes, Harry had forgiven.

Tears gathered threatening to fall. How is this boy so forgiving?  Severus hugged the boy back tightly burying his face at the crook of the boy's neck muttering apologies over and over again for what he has done. Tears fall continuously as the old man cried for the pain he caused. For the mistakes he made.

Why, why must the world be good to him when all he has ever done are errors?

"Dad," Harry whimpered against Snape's shoulder. His son was crying against his shoulder. Neither of them had touched each other, or held each other since Snape had his falling out with Harry.

"Hush," Severus says gently, wanting to just hold Harry near to him, holding him as if he never wants this boy to be away from him again.

Outside, the hummingbirds rejoice, their beaks kissing the flowers like a lover who has came back from a journey from far away, jubilant and giddy, happy and free- as Harry found himself his way back home, into his father's arms, forever safe.