8.) Peace Offering

Back in Brooklyn, I would get in trouble with truancy because I never went to class.

Here in Detroit, Claire is my personal ride to school. Everyday.

I woke up to banging on my bedroom door. Now, if you need to know one fact about my personality, it's that I'm cranky in the morning. Especially when I'm forced awake.

I reached down, grabbed my converse off the floor, and threw it at the door. "Jesus Christ," I growled. "I'm awake!"

"Well hurry up! School starts at 7:35, we have a half hour!"

I pulled a blanket over my head, muttering bullshit under my breath. "You act like I'm not gonna leave as soon as you drop me off..."

When I finally gained the strength to trudge out of bed, I noticed a little black box on my dresser. Curious, I walked towards it.

When I opened it, I was stunned. Inside was a beautiful, simple, silver cross necklace. It wasn't anything flashy, but that's what I liked about it.

I put on the necklace and jogged downstairs. "Claire!"

I found her in the kitchen making coffee. "You ready to leave?"

"Not yet. Claire, what's this?" I held up the necklace.

Her hard face broke into a smile. "A welcome gift. And a peace offering." She stood up and walked towards me. "If were gonna live together, we need to at least be civil. No more reruns of your first night, deal?"

I looked at the necklace for a moment longer before saying, "Deal." We clasped hands and smiled at one another.

"Now get dressed, missy. We only have twenty more minutes."

"Yeah, yeah." I waved it off and headed towards the bathroom, where I peeled off my clothes and started a shower.

I caught a glimpse of myself in the wide mirror over the sink before I could finish taking off my clothes, and I was stunned. My pasty skin looked even paler under the dull lights, and my brown eyes were bloodshot and tired. Deep circles hung under my eyes, making my face look older than I actually was. My black hair looked thin and unhealthy, and my figure was horribly thin. I tried to recall that last time I ate, and was horrified when I realized I couldn't remember.

My fingers grazed over my exposed ribcage, and a shudder shook my spine. I can't live like this anymore. If I continue, I'm sure I'll drop dead.

After my shower, I hid my depressing body under a baggy navy blue sweatshirt and plaid pajama pants. Tying my damp hair into a messy bun, I laced on my converse and met Claire by the front door.

When she saw me, her face scrunched up. "You're wearing that? For you first day?"

"What? Think I won't make a good first impression?" I smirked.

Claire rolled her eyes and practically jogged to her car. I took my time walking. "You just had to take a shower," she grumbled. "It's five to eight!"

"Oh boo-hoo. So what? I'm a little late."

"On your first day!" Claire hissed and started the car. I slid in the passenger seat and crossed my arms over my chest. "What grade are you in?"

"Sophomore." I replied curtly.

"I want you to stay away from that Mathers boy. He's no good, and the last thing you need is to be caught up in more trouble."

I gaped at her. "What? But he's my friend!"

Claire snorted. "You don't even know him."

"Yes I do! He helped me-" I couldn't explain how he helped me without exposing my suicide attempt. Instead, I shook my head and started over. "I'm sixteen. I think I can talk to who I want."

"Exactly!" Claire exclaimed. "You're sixteen! You don't know anything yet."

I was about to shout something nasty back when I was suddenly aware of the cross necklace hanging from my neck. Her peace offering to me. I snapped my jaw shut and rolled my eyes. "Fine. Whatever." I'll still talk to Marshall, just when Claire's not around; what she doesn't know won't hurt her, right?

A/N
this is a shorty lol. ooohhh weeelll. ill update a monster chapter later >:). I mainly just wanted to say THANK YOU!!!! i didnt expect this book to get ANY reads, but here we are!!! breaking a hundred in the first WEEK!!!! im hype. can you tell im hype? im hype lmao. also, to my lovely voters, you guys are the real MVPs omfg i love you SOOOOO MUUUUCCCHHHH keep being beautiful and great❤️❤️❤️❤️