18.) Club

In the drivers seat, a guy with black hair and stubble looked at us and glared. "Lindsay, what are you doing?"

"We're gonna hang out with my friend Alex." She returned, sliding into the passenger side. "It's chillin', she's cool. She's Claire's niece."

I opened the back door only to see someone was already sitting there. My face flushed with heat. "Oh, my bad."

They looked at me--a chubby girl with dark skin and straight brown hair. Her cherry colored lips pulled into a smile and she said, "It's cool, I'll move."

She made enough room for me to get in the car and sit down. I closed the door; the driver cringed. "Could you please not slam?"

"Oh my God," Lindsay groaned, sparking up a cigarette. "Carter, shut the fuck up." She twisted around in her seat to face me, her face holding an apologetic smile. "Sorry, I don't get why my friend here is always so grumpy."

Carter rumbled a few curses under his breath but didn't snap anything back at Lindsay directly.

The girl beside me laughed. "If it wasn't for you, Lindsay, Carter probably would've gotten jumped months ago." She nudged my side. "Don't take him personally, he's rude to everyone."

"Always ornery." Lindsay added on, playfully pinching his cheeks.

"B-Back off!" He stuttered, his face filling with blush. "And I thought you were on my side, Angie?" Carter looked at the backseat from the rear view mirror and pouted.

Angie giggled. "Not when you're being all mean for no reason!"

I watched as Carter rolled his eyes and froze when they landed on me. "So, what's your story?" He asked, flipping on the turning signal.

I swallowed. "Huh?"

He gave me a confused look. "Like, what's your story? Why are you here?"

"She's Claire's niece, I already told you that!" Lindsay barked.

"I know that, but that doesn't exactly explain why she's sitting in my car right now."

"She was buying weed and we got to talking. She's going through a hard time, so I asked if she wanted to party. Is that exact for you?"

Carter lightly shoved her as she giggled. "How did you learn all that in the three minute you were out there?" He demanded, his voice shaking with laughter.

I watched them, envy suddenly building up in my chest. They were so happy together, it reminded me of Marshall and I. My stomach twisted and I turned to stare flatly out the window. I was lost in my own thoughts when I heard Lindsay suddenly shout: "Alex!"

I whipped my head around to face her. "I'm sorry. What?"

She snickered and tossed me her purse. "Roll up!"

"C'mon, Lindsay." Carter groaned. "You know I don't like my car smelling like weed."

"Stop being a pussy!" Lindsay replied, brushing him off. "I have weed and dutches somewhere in there. Go knock yourself out--not literally, of course."