24.) Jamestown

"Did you know that the people in Jamestown ate each other?" Marshall randomly asked as we drove back to the little church we were parked at earlier.

"Jamestown?" I asked, clearly puzzled. "What is that? A movie?"

"No, you moron. One of the first American colonies?" Marshall said in a stuck up tone, like I was less for not knowing. I rolled my eyes at his arrogance. "They came during the winter or something. They didn't know how to grow food and the Indians wouldn't help them or some shit like that, so they ended up eating each other."

"I call bullshit." I stated, crossing my arms over my chest. "You probably read that in a comic or something."

"Alex, you fucking idiot. They were real."

"How do you know that, smarty?" Deshaun suddenly spoke up, turning his head from the road to cock an eyebrow up at his friend. "If I remember correctly, you failed ninth grade three times."

Marshall blushed. "Piss off man. But exactly, I've been in the same social studies class three times. Don't you think I would know my shit?"

"A class that you flunked twice..." I remarked, trying to suppress a smirk.

"Fuck off, guys!" Marshall exclaimed while Deshaun and I laughed. "I wanted to tell you something cool, but nevermind."

"Aw, Proof! We missed our Fun Fact of the Day, brought to us by Marshall Mathers." I joked, giggling the entire time I said it.

"Aw, fuck! Looks like we'll have to try for tomorrow."

We kept laughing and making fun of Marshall while he glared out the window. It was the first time I really felt happy since...well, since I started drugs, actually. My stomach cramped as I chortled harder, tears wetting my eyes. I loved the feeling. It was better than any high I've ever experienced, and it was entirely natural. I never wanted to stop laughing.

"Can you guys shut the fuck up? It's not funny." Marshall grumbled, which made it even more funny.

When we parked, I threw the dutches at Em. "Roll up, Mr. Jamestown."

Marshall scowled at me. "I was literally trying to educate you on something, but fuck you."

"Yeah, Alex!" Deshaun agreed. "Let 'em tell you what he learned in his three years of ninth grade social studies!"

That did it. Marshall tossed the dutches and weed back to me before storming out of the car, slamming the door behind him. "You don't fuckin' slam my door!" Deshaun shouted, but Marshall ignored him, pacing back and forth with his hands behind his head.

I blinked, instantly sobering up from my fit of laughter. "Fuck just happened?"

"I don't know, he can be such a lil' bitch sometimes. It's so annoying." Deshaun stared at me. "Just roll up, he'll come back in a minute."

I handed the stuff over to Deshaun, who took it with confusion written over his face. "Can you do it? I think I'm gonna talk to him."

"It won't do anything, but whatever."

I slid out the car and walked towards Marshall. "Hey."

"Get away from me right now."

"We didn't mean what we were saying back there," I said. "We were just picking on you. It was a nice break from all this shit."

Marshall stopped pacing and faced me. "I'm freaking out, Alex."

"Nothing will happen," I soothed. "No one saw us. We drove away. That's it."

He shook his head, looking down at his shoes.

I sighed. "It happened hours ago. If something was going to happen, it would've already." I placed my hand on his arm. "You said so yourself: people die all the time."

"How are you so calm?" Marshall whispered. "How-...?"

I was silent for a long moment. "C'mon." I finally said. "Let's get back inside. We can drive out of town if you want."

Marshall laughed before wrapping his arm around my shoulder and walking with me back to the car.

By the time we were sitting back down in our seats, Proof had finished rolling. "Do you feel better?" He teased.

Marshall flipped him off. "Bite me."

Deshaun chuckled, sparking the blunt. "You always get so worked up."

"Let's change the subject." I chimed. "This is kinda getting old. What were you saying about Jamestown?"

Marshall looked at me for a long moment before speaking. "So, these people ate their own. And I was just thinking that...I mean, does that make them bad people?" He glanced back at me from the exterior mirror. I bowed my head down. "I mean, these colonist were starving and in a new land that they didn't know. It was the dead of winter. They did an awful thing, but at the end they did what they had to do. Does that make them bad people?"

Proof and I were silent.