33.) Always an Addict

I woke up early the nest morning; probably because I was still pretty drunk. Grass was tickling the side of my face, and I could hear a fly buzzing around somewhere near. I was trapped under Marshall's arm, still lying in the same place where we collapsed last night.

I tried to wiggle away from him. He squeezed me tighter before rolling over to his other side, releasing me. I stood up and scanned the area; there were a few people passed out on lawn chairs, but not much more than a handful. The backyard and pool was littered with red solo cups and bottles, cigarettes and dutch wrappers. I wrinkled my nose at the mess, instantly feeling bad for whoever had to clean up.

The glass sliding door was pushed open, and fuzzy rap music filled my ears. I turned and saw two boys walking out, one had a vintage radio on his shoulder, and the other had a blunt between his fingers.

I stared at them. When they noticed me, they stopped and stared too. I held up a peace sign and said, "I mean no harm."

The guy holding the blunt--a lanky teen with messy blonde hair--laughed. "Well, that's good. We mean no harm, either."

"Well, maybe harm to your lungs." His friend winked at me. A shorter, younger looking kid with brown hair chopped short. They sat at the tiki-bar, ignoring Marshall's sleeping figure that was only a few feet away.

I sat beside the blonde guy and watched him spark the blunt with a pink lighter. "Do you guys live here?" I asked.

The blonde snorted. "Fuck no. Our friend does."

"Why are you guys smoking here then?" I wondered. "I mean, isn't it a little awkward smoking at ya' friend's crib without your friend?"

He shrugged. "I don't really give a shit. When I wake up, I have to smoke. Or else, it's a bad day."

"Wake-n-Bake!" His friend cheered, adjusting the sound on his radio,

The blonde laughed before passing me the blunt. "I don't think we've met, but I saw your face before." He stared at me intently. "Did you go to Lincoln?"

I scoffed. "For like a day."

"I think I saw you at school or something. What's your name?"

"Alex." I said as smoke left my mouth. "You?"

"Michael. This is Andy."

Andy rose his hand in the air. "'Sup."

I nodded. "Cool. You guys were here last night?"

"No, we just came this morning." Michael answered sarcastically. "No fuck we were here last night."

Andy chuckled. "No fuck. What does that even mean?"

We ignored him. "That was a stupid question, I'm pretty fucked up right now." I bit my bottom lip.

Michael smirked, though before he could retort anything the door opened again. Out walked the siren Proof was with last night, clutching her head and grumbling swears under her breath. "What time is it?" She asked aloud.

"Time for you to get a watch!" Andy returned, beaming proudly at his retort.

Michael fake pouted at the siren, who was slowly making her way towards us. "Aw, is poor little Cee fucked up this morning?"

She glared at him. "Screw off, twat." She stole the blunt from his fingers and looked at me. "Hey, I think I remember you."

"We talked briefly."

Cee pointed to her forehead. "And I asked what was wrong with your face?"

I forced a smile. "That's the conversation."

"Sorry if I sounded rude," she apologized, blushing. "I was really messed up last night. Last night was the first night I used in a while."

I rose an eyebrow. "What were you on?"

"Heroin. But I haven't injected in months. Lately, I've been popping Opioid."

My heart raced, and I felt my skin itch with want from memories of my Oxy abuse. 

Cee looked at me and smiled. "You use?"

"Did." I scratched my arm. "I haven't had the opportunity to get my hands on anything lately." I stared at Marshall, shame suddenly building up in my chest from how much I wanted it. "But Lord, if I had the chance, I'd get so fucked up."

Cee's smile stretched into a wide grin. "I can get you a hookup."