seven

• dedicated to frenchtoastss for supporting this story to the end and for all your love •

[ 07 ]

I took back my words. Working for Ethan Black was not okay. It was the furthest thing from okay. It was absolutely hell on earth.

He was the most exasperating client I ever had - and that was saying a lot. I provided temporary security for Justin Bieber once.

"Otter!" Ethan shouted for the forty-third time in the span of one hour.

I ambled to where he was, taking my time. When he first did this, I rushed to his side, worried that he was in danger or that something had happened. But it turned out that he just wanted me to help him reach for the television remote control that was less than five centimetres away from him.

"But Otter," he had said. "I just got into the right position. If I get up to reach for the remote, I might not be this comfortable again."

It took all of my training to effectively restrain myself from strangling him.

I was sure this time was no different, but one could always hope.

"What do you want?" I asked Ethan in a bored tone when I reached, folding my arms as I waited.

He produced a smile so bright and dazzling I felt that I needed sunglasses. "I need your help."

I stared at him blankly. "No."

"Please," he pouted.

"No."

"I need you to be my eyes and hands, Otter."

"No."

Ethan's face crunched up into a scowl. "Isn't that your job anyway? To be my eyes and hands. And my human body shield."

"Ethan, the last time you asked me to be your eyes and hands, I went to get your lazy ass a beer from the fridge."

"That was one time. Is that all it takes to lose your trust?"

"No, it takes forty three times. And this is your last chance."

"Why you gotta be so rude?"

"You landed me in jail."

His eyes widened in disbelief. "I thought we had an unspoken agreement to never talk about that again. And besides, it was your fault."