sixteen

• dedicated to Kiara-z because she's an absolute darling •

[ 16 ]

I stumbled back away from him, my skin burning where it touched his. My heart was still pounding vigorously and I was afraid he could hear it.

Otter. The way my nickname sliding off his tongue so smoothly made my chest ache.

"What are you doing here?" Ethan asked, frowning.

I could only stare at him mutely.

"Otter?" he repeated, not knowing what that word did to me. His brows were knitted together and having his full attention on me somehow made me feel... good, in a bad way.

The pressure at the back of my eyes built up and to my horror, I felt the pricking of a fresh wave of tears.

My throat felt like sandpaper when I swallowed and I winced. Ethan took a step towards me and I backed away instinctively. It wasn't a good idea to have him near me, not when I was being so irrational. Who knew what I would do?

His lips thinned at my retreat and he stood still, stopping his advances. "What is it? Is it my dad?"

The mention of his father made me bite my lip. That was the man who was going to fire me any day now.

Ethan's gaze sharpened and a look of determination settled over his face. "Go back home, Otter. I'll speak to him."

For a moment, I felt like smiling. Home. He told me to go back home. The phrase somehow warmed my heart, because he was acting like he was my... family.

But then he stormed past me and I shook myself out of that ridiculous fantasy. Ethan Black is not family, he's a client.

And he's a client that I'm going to lose the moment he opens his mouth and blabs to his parents.

"Wait," I called out, running after him. Clutching onto his arm desperately, I dug my shoes into the floor, trying to break his stride. "Don't go, please."

Ethan halted, his body going still. Just like that time in the kitchen, his gaze went to where I was holding on to his arm.

And just like last time, I snatched my hand away and flushed a deep red, not knowing what to say.

But instead of grinning and teasing me like he did previously, Ethan turned to face me, his face unsmiling. "Why do you keep stopping me from talking to my father?"