twelve

• dedicated to @-adoseofalexis for your neverending support •

[ 12 ]

Miranda came over to Ethan's apartment today. Oh joy.

"Hey mom," Ethan greeted when he opened the door, letting her in.

Like a goddess gracing the Earth, she swept into the living room in a stunning black dress, embodying the very meaning of edgy sensuality.

"Darling, how have you been?" she asked, her voice ever so sweet.

"Good. Classes are great, though I miss going to school with Carter. He's away at camp, by the way. He'll be returning at the end of this week," Ethan replied, trailing behind her.

When Miranda spotted me, her eyebrows rose a whole inch. "Miss Otterson, what a surprise to see you here."

I smiled hesitantly, unsure of how to carry myself in her presence. "Um, I'm your son's bodyguard so it's kinda part of the job to be around him all the time."

"But shouldn't the team be here as well?" she countered.

"They're down in the security room. We have a rotating shift system so Ethan will always have someone around him, but I'm the one that's more experienced in the whole personal bodyguard thing so I have more shifts. The rest of the team are better at backups and behind-the-scene kind of stuff," I explained.

"I see."

Silence descended upon us and I shuffled on my feet uncomfortably. Mentally willing Ethan to say something to break the silence, I almost cried with relief when he finally spoke up.

"Anyway, mom, what are you doing here?"

Miranda tutted at him. "Can't a mother visit her son from time to time?"

"Mom."

She laughed, the sound light and melodious. "Alright, alright. I'm just letting you know that you have to attend a charity dinner later this month. Your dad and I aren't free, so you'll have to step in for us and represent the Black family."

"And you couldn't call or text me?"

She rolled her eyes. "Fine. I just wanted to check on you properly after not having seen you in months. Sue me."

Ethan grinned. "I love you too, mom."

"And," she added meaningfully, "I wanted to check out your, living arrangements." The last two words were said with those grey eyes pierced right at me.