eighteen

dedicated to proudweirdmixer for all the love you've shown jade and ethan •

• dedicated to proudweirdmixer for all the love you've shown jade and ethan •

[ 18 ]

"You're assigned night duty?"

This question came from the last person I thought it would. "Don't ask me, I don't know what happened either."

"Mrs Black trusts you that much?" he asked incredulously.

I hesitated. "Um, I don't think she was the one that authorised the change in my duties."

Trevor was too well-trained to let emotions show on his face, but I knew that he was shocked. "Mr Black did it?"

"According to Ethan, Mr Black wanted to up security and chose me for night duty," I told him, only realising at that moment how shady it sounded.

I had my suspicions when Ethan first told me, but I was too overwhelmed by relief that I wasn't about to get fired. Now that I actually thought about it, how could Harvey Black know about the club incident and yet give me more responsibilities?

How did he still trust me with his son?

Judging by Trevor's slightly raised brows, I knew he was asking himself the same thing.

"Cool," he said instead, clearly not convinced.

Biting my lips, I debated over whether or not I should take a gamble with Trevor. "Why do you think Mr Black did that?" I blurted out, the words pushing their way through my lips.

Trevor seemed surprised at my question. "No one can anticipate the reasons for his actions. He does what he wants to do."

"He does what his wife wants him to do, you mean," I corrected jokingly. It took a grand total of two interactions with Mr Black for me to know his wife had a lot of power over him.

"That too," he added wryly.

"But why? He knew about what happened at the club, and instead of firing me, he's promoting me?"

That got Trevor's attention. "He knew about the club?"

"Apparently so."

"What?" His tone was cutting and unbelieving, bordering on being harsh. "Then how are you still here?"

I stumbled away from him, taken back by his reaction. "W-What do you mean?"