ten

• dedicated to bleede bc i miss our conversations •

[ 10 ]

If I thought Ethan couldn't get any more annoying, I was wrong.

He wouldn't stop bothering me for weeks after the incident. He constantly checked my wound to make sure it wasn't festering and automatically offered to help me with whatever I was doing the moment I let slip a single sigh.

In the beginning, I endured his constant fussing, but after a while, it started to get on my nerves.

"Ethan," I groaned in exasperation. "I'm fine. You need to stop fussing over me."

He frowned. "Are you sure? You were just shot-"

"-ages ago, Ethan. I'm okay now," I stressed.

"Yeah, well," he mumbled, shuffling on his feet. "You got shot because of me. I'm kind of obligated to, you know, care about you."

Choked laughter came out of me. "Hold up. Did you just say that you care about me?"

"Did you not get the obligated part?"

"You care about me! You, Ethan Black, care about me, Jade Otterson. Oh boy, is the world coming to an end?" I announced, ignoring him completely.

He rolled his eyes and sighed. "Look," Ethan started. "I know you're my bodyguard and all, and I know this is literally your job, but you had every means to leave me alone back at the café and you didn't. So, I guess, uh," he fumbled for words. "I guess you're not so bad after all."

My mouth curved. "That's not how you thank people, Ethan."

"Well, how would you do it?"

"Thank you."

"You're welcome, Otter."

I smacked his arm, but a smile was pulling at my lips.

Ethan stopped laughing and gave me a heart-stopping smile. "Thank you."

I blinked, feeling every thud of my heart as blood rushed through me. "You-You're welcome," I stuttered out, thrown off by the sudden change in atmosphere.

"Alright," Ethan enthused, perking up instantly. "Now that you're recovering well, I think you still owe me the best pancakes in the world."

My brows drew together as I was trying to keep up with his sudden change in mood. "What?"

"The charcoal waffles? The Earl Grey milktea ice cream? Hodge Lodge? Ring a bell?"