fifteen

• dedicated to thenarratee for being such a sweetheart ilysm babygirl •

[ 15 ]

Avoiding Ethan was a harder task than I initially thought it was. Maybe because my job - protecting him - actually meant I needed to be around him.

There were only so many shifts I could get Riley to cover for me, so it wasn't long before I found myself entering Ethan's apartment.

It's just until dinner, I told myself. Then, Trevor would take over.

I thought back to the incident back at the club. Ethan's unwillingness to leave me at the club, his strangely sweet way of cheering me up and how he opened up to me in the kitchen.

But then I thought back to the morning after that, how he shut me out and insulted me. Have you forgotten your place, Jade?

No, I haven't.

With my newfound resolve, I entered Ethan's familiar apartment, feeling a sudden wave of nostalgia hit me in the face.

Carter was sitting on the couch, watching a football game. "Hey Jade," he greeted when he saw me enter.

I smiled hesitantly, thinking back to the last time I'd seen him. He had been arguing with Ethan about cheating on his boyfriend. I'd slept wit him not long ago before the incident and my stomach flipped at the thought of being the other woman.

Knowing that the guilt would stay with me for a long time if I didn't clear it up, I took in a deep breath before asking him the dreaded question. "Carter, were you in a relationship when you slept with me?"

Carter tore his gaze away from the television screen and turned to look at me, his eyes drilling holes into me. "What?"

I bit my lip, feeling as if I was going to throw up. "Were you attached that night we hooked up?"

His gaze turned wary and I felt my heart sink. "Look, whatever Ethan's told you-"

A familiar voice entered the conversation. "I didn't tell her shit."

Hearing Ethan's voice caused a shiver to go down my spine and I counted to three before turning around to face him.

His eyes were as green as ever and it still reminded me of puke. Throwing him a dirty look, I looked back at Carter.