eleven

• dedicated to cosmologie writing such a beautiful book and for the fantastic covers that you made for this story •

[ 11 ]

Harvey Black was staring at me stonily. "What happened that day?"

I shuffled on my feet uncomfortably, dreading this moment ever since I heard that he landed on New York last week. Of course he would want the full report of the attack at Hodge Lodge. "We're still working on identifying the attackers but a group of them attacked the café Eth-Mr Black and I were at and started shooting."

"How did those attackers even get near the café to do anything? Shouldn't you have secured the place beforehand?"

My cheeks flushed deep red with shame. "I'm sorry, Mr Black. It was negligence on my part."

His brows rose at my quick admittance. I guess he was expecting me to defend myself and spin the situation in a way that I was completely blameless. "Well, Miss Otterson, this changes things. If this happened because of you, then I'm afraid I'll have to let you go."

My mouth dropped open in shock. "Wait, what?"

"I don't play around with my son's life. And I don't want the people who are protecting him to either. This is a matter of life and death," he said sternly, accusation underlining his tone.

I searched my mind desperately for something that will change his mind. "Sir, I understand your concerns, and I apologise for my negligence. But you have my word that this will not happen again."

"You can't guarantee that."

"Yes I can," I said in a voice that I hoped sounded strong and steady. "You have my word. And if I fail once more, I'll leave myself. You don't even have to say a word."

Those sharp eyes swept up and down my entire body as he scrutinised me and I forced myself to continue standing still. Cowering or showing any signs of weakness right now wouldn't help.

"Jade," he started. "I like you. I really do. But I don't play with my son's life, and my wife would-"

A new voice entered the conversation. "Your wife would what?"

Both of us turned to see a beautiful woman clad in black striding towards us. Her perfume hit me instantly and overwhelmed my nostrils. It smelled like flowers, but it did little to soften the presence of Miranda Black.

Dressed in a tight black dress and black boots, Miranda was definitely dressed to impress. There was a certain aura about her and I found my gaze following her every moment.