seventeen

• dedicated to spicedbroccoli bc your comments honestly give me life •

[ 17 ]

When I called Kaden up to tell him that we couldn't meet that night because I was in charge of night duty from now on, I could almost hear his brows raising.

"You guys are sharing a room?"

I winced at how suggestive he made that sound. "He's sleeping on the bed, I'll be on the couch. There's nothing sleazy about this arrangement, Kade."

"I'm not worried about that. Get your head out of the gutter," he scolded me, his tone cocky. "Besides, what's there to worry about?"

Did he just imply that I wasn't... My jaw dropped and I tried to think of a comeback. But I could only make sounds of indignation that didn't resemble a single word in the English language. "You-You!" I spluttered out.

"Yes, what about me?" Kaden drawled, clearly enjoying every moment.

"I'm going to murder you when I get my hands on you!"

"You can try."

The son of a bitch sounded amused, damn him! "Don't think you're all high and might just because you're second. After I get this job done, I'll be third."

"Looking forward to see you be a part of the club, J."

He was doing it on purpose. That condescending, amused tone was simply to rile me up. "You're dead the next time I see you."

"I'm shaking."

"Were you always this annoying?" I snapped at him. "I remember having a friend, not an Annoying Orange."

Kaden chuckled. "Two for the price of one, you see. The economy's not doing so well right now."

"You think you're very funny, don't you? You think you're being charming?"

"According to Mina, I am."

"Mina?"

"The girl I was on a date with a few weeks ago. You remember, right? I kicked you and Madi out that night because she was coming over."

My brows rose. "Oh, that girl. So the both of you... it's going well?"

"Honey, I think I'm in love."