fourteen

• dedicated to lilacrachel for being such a sweetheart, i appreciate you more than you'll ever know •

[ 14 ]

The next morning, I woke up with a splitting headache. It instantly put me in a bad mood, and hearing shouting on the other side of the door wasn't helping matters.

"I don't need your lecture, Ethan!" That voice distinctly sounded like Carter's and I immediately sat up. Carter's back?

According to Ethan, he'd been away from camp, so I hadn't had time to get to really talk to him, save for our first meeting.

"What do you need then? For Ivan to break up with you?" Ethan asked harshly.

My eyes widened. Carter was attached? Ivan... He's gay?

"Don't." Carter's voice was low, but even I could hear the warning in his tone.

"Don't what? Call it like it is? Fine, but you don't get to come crying to me when Ivan finally realises he deserves better and-" Ethan broke off suddenly and I heard a groan.

Carter must have punched him.

I scrambled out of bed and rushed out of my room. Ethan was my client after all, so it was my duty to protect him. At least, that's what I tried to tell myself as I approached the scene. It was definitely not my own curiosity. I was just trying to do my job.

When I reached the guys, I saw that Ethan was cradling his cheek while Carter stood there, his fists still clenched.

I could almost see the waves of the tension between the two of them. The air was charged and no one said a single word.

My throat cleared on a cough. "Well," I said brightly, trying to neutralise the situation, "this is certainly an interesting way to start the day."

Both men didn't look at me, their eyes still trained on each other.

"You're not my mother, Ethan," Carter said lowly, those blue eyes alight with restrained fury.

"No," Ethan countered, his tone matching Carter's, "I'm your conscience."

Carter clenched his fists. "I'm walking away from this because I'm a mature adult. Come find me when you're being one too." Then, he turned on his heel and walked towards the door.

But before he could get out, Ethan delivered one last blow. "So you call cheating and going behind your partner being an adult? I don't know about you, Carter, but I think coming clean and having integrity is more important than 'being an adult'," he quoted exaggeratedly.