15 : Visiting Him

The following chapter contains explicit material intended for an 18+ audience ONLY

_____

I stare at the $4,000 check in my hands, trying to decide if it was real.

It seemed pretty legit with its routing number and a shorthand signature from Michael Valentino at the bottom. I had applied for a few Graduate Assistant positions, but seeing as how it was the end of the semester, I hadn't heard back yet. I didn't think mentioning that to Mickey would make a difference, but I see now that I was wrong. I don't know whether to be pissed off, offended, or thankful. All I do know is that four grand is almost five months of rent.

What. The. Fuck.

I call him immediately, but he doesn't answer, so I hang up and send him a text.

Me: I don't know how 

much you think my rent 

is but I'm not cashing 

that fucking check

He texts me back immediately.

Mickey: Yes you are.

I am ready to tear it into shreds, but as I stare at it, I can't seem to go through with it. I don't think Mickey would ever ask for anything in return for his money, but I don't want to be put in the position anyway.

Me: No I'm not

Mickey: Yes.

You are.

Ugh! I don't have time to fight with him right now. My last final of the semester starts in one hour. I grab my bag and leave.

-

I have officially passed my last final. I only needed a 23 percent to keep my A in the class, so I wasn't too worried. Now, I am walking in the freezing cold, going to the coffee shop up the street to meet with Jenna and Emma. We were going to celebrate the last five minutes of our semester-locked friendship over coffee and baked goods. Hopefully, it would be their treat.

I walk in to find them sitting together at a little table in the corner, and make my way over.

"Hey, bitch!" Jenna says jokingly when she sees me.

"What's up, girl?" Emma greets me. I give each of them what will undoubtedly be our last hugs of the year. I sit next to them and take off my coat.

"Did you enjoy getting fucked by Jorgenson's test, too?" Emma asks.

Fun metaphor. "What? That test was easy," I tell them. They both roll their eyes.

"Just because you're a genius doesn't mean you can rub it in," Jenna scolds me.