Chapter Seven - Tyler

"Ethan? Are you okay?" I called, banging on the door. "Yes, Tyler, I'm fine. Just leave me alone!" he said, and I could tell he was on the verge of tears. I can't believe I did this to him... "Ethan, listen, I know you're not fine, you've been in there for fifteen minutes talking to yourself! Could you just tell me what's wrong already?!" I asked, and he sighed. "You know what? Fine." he opened the door, and I was heartbroken to see his eyes red from crying and tears streaming down his face. He pulled me into the bathroom, and shut the door behind both of us. "I can't believe in soulmates, Ty. Nobody can love this mess of a person. There's nobody out there for me, I know it, and every time a cute little doodle pops up on my arm, it's like the world is taunting me." he said, and his words were like a stab in the chest.

"Ethan, what makes you think nobody could love you?" I asked, trying to stay calm while I was internally dying. "Ty, it's just... All through highschool, I was teased and called a--um, not-nice word for 'gay', and it just... hurt. It wasn't even the physical abuse that killed me." he said, and I walked over to the boy. "We all love you, Ethan. Me, Mark, Kat... And so many other people who will always be there for you." I said, and he shook his head. "I'm just your co-worker, and subs don't count. There's a reason my channel is dying. The only people that even remotely like me are you and Chika." he said, grabbing a paper towel and wiping his nose. "Listen, Ethan. If I didn't care about you, would I have followed you into this bathroom?" I asked, and he sighed. "I don't know, okay?! All I kmow is all my life, I grew up with nobody caring for me except my parents, and I haven't had a single real friend until I met you! Damn, if I'm that hopeless, kill me now!"

I reached into my pocket, and grabbed a pen, hidden from his view. "Ethan, I know you had a rough childhood. And I know it's hard for you to believe that people care for you. But we do. And we'll always be here for you. Whether or not you believe in the same things we do. Okay?" I said, and he seemed to have calmed down a bit just having heard that from me. "I... Ty, you're the only person that even noticed I was gone. Weren't you?" I hesitated. Should I lie? "No.... Mark noticed, too." I lied, and he laughed. "I know he didn't. You just said that to calm me down... Looks like we're even." What does he mean? "Even? What?" He looked up, our eyes locking. "I can't believe in soulmates. I never will. But if I can believe in one thing, it's you. Thanks, Ty." I slipped the pen back into my pocket. Thankfully, I hadn't needed it. I think I should wait awhile before I... show him. I extended me arms for an embrace. "Want a hug?" he smiled, wiping the tears off his face. "Do I ever!" he said, wrapping his arms around me. I smiled, returning the embrace.

"No more nonsense about nobody loving you, okay? You can disbelieve in soulmates all you want, but you always know that we're here for you." I said, resting my chin on top of his messy blue hair.  "Deal."

***

On the ride home, Ethan seemed much happier, and more at home. I don't believe those thoughts aren't still swirling around in his head, but at least he knows he has us. Ethan and I were debating on whether or not to tell everyone else about Ethan's past, and we decided it would be a good idea if everyone knew what he was going through. To my relief, everyone was very calm and supportive about the whole thing, even Sean who probably barely knew anything about Ethan in the first place.

When we got home, the three others decided to start setting up for a movie night to cheer Ethan up, and I had to excuse myself. I ran upstairs to my bedroom, and locked the door behind me. Pulling out my phone quickly, and searched for the right contact. I hit the call button, and she answered almost immediately. "Ty? What's up, honey?" Chloe's soft voice asked calmly through the phone, although I sensed a hint of worry. "Chloe, tell me the story about mom again." I demanded suddenly. "What? Why? Tyler, honey, what's going on?" she asked, her voice getting serious. "Chloe... I think I'm re-living it all over again... my life is beginning to follow the same story you used to tell me." I said, my voice cracking. She gasped. "Wait, seriously? So this Ethan kid is trying to convince himself he doesn't believe in soulmates?" she asked, her shaky voice scaring me shitless. Chloe was the one person I could always depend on not to cry, and here she was, about to crack over me. She always did used to tell me that her worst fear was for someone else, especially me, to have to go through what she did, and only now that she thinks it's happening for real do I believe her more than ever.

"No, Chloe. Some assholes did that for him. He's already convinced." I groaned, and she let out a frustrated sigh. "Tyler, I'm not letting this happen. I'm coming over." she said sternly. "What?! No, you can't!" I panicked at the idea of Chloe coming over during Mark's week with Sean. "Ty, listen to me. I love you, and I'm not letting humanity make the same mistake twice. People say history repeats itself, but that's only because we let it, Ty." she said, hanging up. I sighed. This was not going to go over well with Mark... "I love you too, Chloe..." I mumbled to myself, rolling my eyes. "Who's Chloe?" asked a voice from the doorway, making me jump. "Ah, nobody! How long have you been standing there, and how'd you get in?!" I asked, and Ethan just laughed. "The door was locked, but it wasn't closed properly, so I could just walk right in. And I haven't been standing here long, all I heard was Chloe. Is that your soulmate?" he asked out of curiosity. "No, just a... A friend." I shrugged. The blue boy smirked. "Suuuuure... anyway, the movie's starting! Come down with us!" he said, begging with his puppy-dog eyes for me to follow him. I can't resist that gorgeous face... I sighed. "Fine. But I swear, if it's a romantic comedy, I'm leaving," I teased, knowing that it was Ethan's favorite genre. He smiled. "Why? After all that's happened this week, I feel like the five of us are living one."