Chapter Fifteen

TYLER

I can't believe I made him cry! He loiked so awful... Could I really have done that to him?! How will I be able to live with myself, knowing that I fucked it up for him?! History can't just keep repeating itself over and over again...

But there is one way I can change it.

ETHAN

"If I'm falling in love... I'll be damned..." I laughed to myself. I was being so silly, this whole time! Tyler, it's so obvious, isn't it?! We were meant for each other... Why hadn't I realized it sooner? I smiled to myself, knowing everything was going to be okay! At last, I'd done something fucking right! I ran into my room again, excited to fix everything.

"Tyler, I... Love you?" the room was empty. Where'd he go?! I ran downstairs to find only Kathryn. My heart sunk. "Kat? Where's Ty?" she looked up from her computer; she must've been editing. "Oh, I just saw him leave." she said, turning back to his computer. "Did he say where he was going?" I asked, grabbing my own keys.

I needed to tell him I loved him. I needed to... make things right. "Oh, yeah. He said he was going... Going..." Kat trailed off, turning to me. "Wait, why? What happened?" she asked, shutting her computer abruptly. "Uhhh... He walked into my room while I was crying, and I left pretty suddenly, and when I came back, he was gone. Why?" I asked, now concerned.

"Ethan, get to your car." she said abruptly, freaking out. I froze. "Kathryn? What-" She screamed at me. "ETHAN, CAR!" I'd never seen Kathryn like this before. It was... Scary.

I followed her quickly down the stairs, and we flew past Mark and Jack on the way down. "Guys-?!" Mark yelled, looking concerned and seeing the tears bubbling in Kat's eyes, which I was still confused about... Kat never cried! "Kat, you're scaring me..." What the Hell was going on!? Soon enough, I heard Mark and Jack's footsteps echoing behind our own, calling for us to stop.

"There's no time!" Kat kept yelling. By the time we got in my car, she was sobbing. "Kat, were did he say he was going?!" I asked, starting up the car as Mark and Sean jumped into the back seats. "T-the bridge!" I frowned. "Which bridge?!" (Just picked the tallest bridge in LA because that's where they live... Right?) "The closest one! Vincent-Thomas!" she said, and I stepped on the gas.

"We've really gotta fucking hurry... He left a good five minutes ago, he might already be there... h-he might've already..." her voice cracked. "Calm down! Why di you think he would jump off the bridge?!" She frowned.

"Why else would he be going there?!" I shrugged. "...Tourism?" she just glared at me. "God, I'm so stupid.. So, so stupid... I should've been able to put the pieces together...!" she groaned, burying her head in her hands.

"He fucking told me! 'Going to fix everything'... Damn, I'm so stupid!" she gritted her teeth, and stepled harder on the gas. "Uh, still confused, here..." Mark and Jack said. "Oh, sorry. After I rejected Tyler, he stormed out and told Kathryn he was taking a trip to the bridge. All caught up?"

I snapped, then immediately apologized. "It's fine, sorry, just... Jesus, dude, we've gotta fuckin' hurry!" Sean said, swallowing nervously. I nodded, stepping on the gas.

We flew by(as fast as we could go in the crowded city, that is,), and within minutes, we arrived at the bridge. There was a long line of traffic; not looking good. I swung open the door, and sure enough, it was Tyler's car at the front of the huge line of traffic.

Some horns were honking, some people had their phones out and were recording it or calling the police, and finally, I saw Tyler.

He was standing right there, on the edge of the bridge, about to jump. I saw him drop a hoodie on the ground, and take a deep breath. "TYLER!" I yelled, although I could barely hear myself over all the car horns and people yelling!

"TYLER, I LOVE YOU, STOP!" I screamed, as he took a step towards the edge. I was in a full-on sprint towards him, and I swear I was running faster than any track star could've ever dreamed of!

Time seemed to slow down, and Tyler took another step closer to the edge, and just as he was within my reach, I whipped out my hand to catch him... I gripped his shirt. I gripped it as tightly as I could. Had I saved him?! He was gonna be okay... He had to be...

"TYLER, I LOVE YOU!" I yelled, tears falling from my eyes. He looked up, and his weight became too much. The material ripped in my hands, and I screamed as I watched him plummet, reaching upwards for me but not being able to hold onto anything.

TYLER

I thought I heard his voice, right before I fell. There was a choking sensation, and my shirt was strangling me. And then the falling sensation began.

I looked up as I fell, and through the tears and stinging, I thought I could see him, at the edge of the bridge. Reaching for me. I extended my hand. If I reached for him, too, maybe he could catch me... Hold me, love me, tell me everything was going to be okay.

ETHAN

"Tyler... say hi to God." I choked, having to look away. I fell to the ground, sitting on top of his sweatshirt, crying. I couldn't watch... I felt arms wrap around me, and lift me off the ground.

Amongst the yelling and beeping, I now also heard sirens. The police were here... Whoever was carrying me, picked up Ty's sweatshirt and wrapped it around me comfortingly.

I couldn't do anything but stare at it, as the grey fabric turned darker everywhere my tears fell. Tears? When did I start crying? I didn't care enough to remember. All I could remember was...

I really can't do anything right.

TYLER

The last thing I saw, my last sight, was when the figure at the top of the bridge collapsed. Was he crying?! "It's okay, Ethan! Everything's gonna be okay; I saved you!" I wanted to scream, but the air was gone from my lungs. He collapsed, the world turned dark, and my everything stopped working.

And everything they say about the light at the end? They lied.

The only light I had was sitting at the top of that bridge, and I left him behind so he could shine brighter on his own.

ETHAN

When Mark set me down in the back seat of my car, all I could do was curl up into a little ball and cry like a wuss. I buried my face in ny hands. As I was sobbing, I heard a crinkle of paper coming from my pocket.

I shoved my hand into the hoodie pocket, first finding his keys, and then... A piece of paper.

Dear Ethan,

Smile always.

That was all it said. Even after I'd; taken him for granted, broken his heart, and officially rejected him... His last words were for me. Dear Ethan. Smile always... But how can I? How can I smile, knowing that I really, truly can't fix my mistake this time?

This isn't just another one of my fuck-ups. This was a failure. I let my best friend die. Those bullies in high school were right.

I really am just one big fuck-up.