Chapter Two

Chapter Two:

            “Bree? Honey, who was that on the phone?” Bree’s mom called from the hallway, she threw her phone onto her bed and opened her door.

            She narrowed her eyes at her mother and put her hands on her hips. “Why? What did you hear??”

            “I heard enough. Who are you making a date with?” Bree’s mother asked, a stern look on her face. Mrs. Keller was always very strict about Bree dating; partly because she was her only child, and partly because her husband had left her for another woman when Bree was five, so she didn’t trust men. Bree understood where her mother was coming from, but hated that she was eighteen and still had to get her dates approved by her mom.

            “I wasn’t making a date,” Bree lied, a little too fast. Her mother narrowed her eyes and put her hands on her hips, too. Bree dropped her arms to avoid looking like her mother. “I wasn’t!”

            “I really hope you know this guy, Bree. You said something along the lines of living in Minnesota. Any guy that went to school with you would know that and-”

            “Mom!” Bree yelled. “Stop fussing so much! It’s just a boy that I met. I might go out on a date. Who cares??”

            “Who is this boy? If you don’t tell me in the next ten seconds, I will ground you and you will not be going out with anyone!” Mrs. Keller demanded furiously.

            “His name is Harry.”

            “Harry who? And where did you meet him? Who is he?” Mrs. Keller demanded again.

            “Harry Styles…” Bree said slowly. Her mom didn’t seem to recognize the name, which wasn’t surprising. She wouldn’t have heard about the popular boy band. “I met him at a concert.”

            “Bree! That’s so dangerous! You don’t know this guy and for all you know he could-”

            “At his concert, Mom. He’s in a band,” Bree said. “He’s not some crazy pedophile.”

            “His concert? Is this the one in Chicago? I thought you said you were going to the One Direction concert or something! You lied and went to a local band? Bree Ella Keller! What have I told you about-”

            “HE’S IN ONE DIRECTION!” Bree screamed. “The insanely famous British boy band? He’s in it. Happy?”

            Mrs. Keller couldn’t say anything for a long while, Bree wondered if she could. Finally she spoke up quietly, “This isn’t a joke right? Or are you actually dating a celebrity?”    

            “I’m not joking. And I’m not dating him. I don’t even know if I like the guy. I hate One Direction. Or I did, a month ago… I don’t know. We’ll see. That’s why I’m going out with him, to see if it’ll work out,” Bree said and slumped onto her bed.

            “That’s so exciting, though, Bree!”

            Bree was surprised at this chance of heart. “What?”

            “He’s famous! Let’s Google him! Come on!”

            “Moooommmmm!” Bree groaned. “Don’t Google my date!”

            “I need to at least see what he looks like,” she said and went over to Bree’s laptop. She opened it and searched “Harry Styles” into Google. She clicked “images” and started scrolling. Bree stood up and went to look over her mom’s shoulder. She had forgotten what he looked like in the last two weeks, and was stunned at seeing him. He really was very attractive, and his hair was gorgeous.