Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

Harry and Bree said their goodbyes to everyone at the recital and made their way back to Harry’s car. He held her hand tightly, squeezing every so often, as they walked. Bree rested her head on his shoulder and sighed happily.

“Where are we going?” Bree asked as Harry opened her door for her. She kissed his cheek and slid into the seat. He raised his eyebrows and gave her a flirty smile.

“It’s a… surprise,” he said and closed the door. Bree rolled her eyes and watched as he walked around the front of the car. He hesitated at the front, licked his thumb and rubbed at a spot on the car, obviously seeing a smudge. He got into the drivers seat and buckled his seat belt, grinning over at her.

“Okay what?” Bree asked after a minute or two of Harry driving in silence. He just shrugged and turned on the radio. He started tapping the wheel to the beat and singing along.

He was so freaking cute that Bree bit her lip to stop herself from leaning over to kiss him. His gorgeous eyes were trained on the road and he was going exactly the speed limit, trying to keep her safe.

After about ten minutes, Harry pulled into the huge park that was barely ever occupied. “We’re going to the park?” Bree asked, looking around. She hadn’t been there since a field trip back in fifth grade. It didn’t really have anything there, just a little pond, some grass, and some picnic tables. There were no play structures for children or any kind of shelter, so it wasn’t a popular park. But it was huge and really pretty on a nice day, which it was today.

“Why? Do you not want to? Because we can turn around and go back or-” Harry said, glancing over at Bree and looking worried. Bree shook her head.

“Of course I want to,” she reassured him and he relaxed. He pulled into the parking lot and parked up. He got out of the car, and let Bree out, too. “You know you don’t have to do that anymore,” Bree said, tucking some hair behind her ear.

“Do what?” Harry asked as he opened the trunk of the car and pulled out a big blanket and a picnic basket. Bree’s mouth turned into a huge grin and she shook her head at how romantic Harry was. She’d always wanted to have a picnic date.

“Uhh,” Bree mumbled, forgetting what she was saying. “Oh! Umm, opening my door for me and stuff.”

Harry shrugged, “I wouldn’t be much of a gentleman if I didn’t, would I?” Bree tilted her head and smiled. How did she get so lucky? She took the blanket from him and they walked to a shaded area near the pond. Bree set out the blanket and Harry set down the basket.

She sat down and helped take out all the food. Harry had packed enough food for ten people to eat with them, but he said he didn’t know what she liked just yet, so he wanted to have a variety. Harry settled down next to Bree and pulled her so that her legs were stretched out across his lap.

Bree reached for a roll first and started buttering it. “Ah, so you’re a butter girl as opposed to margarine?” Harry asked, and Bree giggled at the way he said ‘margarine’. She still wasn’t quite used to his accent, and hoped she would never stop finding it adorable. She loved when people had accents, especially British ones.

“Yeah, I prefer butter,” Bree replied and started eating her roll. Harry smiled and started buttering his own roll. “You too? Or are you just copying me?”

“Oh no, margarine is disgusting,” Harry said, pulling a face. “I guess we’re stuck with butter, huh?” Bree nodded and took another bite of her roll. She chewed it slowly as she looked around. It was a really beautiful day. The pond was clearer than she remembered it, the sky was cloudless and blue, and the birds were out singing in the trees. She leaned into Harry’s shoulder and sighed happily.