Chapter Fourteen & Epilogue

Chapter Fourteen

After an awkward fifteen-minute car ride, Bree and Liam sat in the car in silence for about five minutes after they reached the airport. Bree watched the rain start, and the droplets sliding down the window. Finally, Liam cleared his throat and scratched the back of his head awkwardly.

“You sure about this?” he asked quietly, briefly glancing across at Bree. She sighed and nodded slowly. “You know it’s over once you get on that plane, right? I know you’re hurt, I would be too, but Bree—”

“I can’t… I can’t look at him after that,” she cut him off, wiping her newly damp cheeks. Bree opened the door and slipped out of the car and into the rain. Liam did the same and walked around the car to get her suitcase out.

“Thanks,” Bree mumbled at the same time as Liam said—

“Don’t let Louis and Niall’s prank break you up, it’s not worth it.”

Liam blushed and shut the door of the car. He rolled the suitcase over to Bree and she took it. He held out his arms for a hug, and Bree gratefully accepted it. She wrapped her arms around him and buried her face in his shoulder, crying slightly.

They stayed like this for a few moments, until Bree pulled away, wiping her eyes with her sleeve. “Thanks, Liam. Sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused,” she said, putting her phone in her purse and getting ready to go.

“Not your fault, Bree,” Liam said, not making eye contact. He was obviously super uncomfortable, which made Bree feel bad.

“I guess this is goodbye, it’s been really great getting to know you guys,” Bree said with a nod. She took a deep breath and spun on her heel, walking quickly toward the front doors of the airport.

“Harry loves you!” Liam called, making Bree stop. She didn’t look back, though, knowing he could convince her to go back to Harry.

“I love him, too,” she said, continuing on. She heard Liam sigh and open the car door. As she reached the doors of the airport, she heard Liam drive off.

It’s all over now, Bree thought. She didn’t know if she had done the right thing or not, but there was no turning back now.

Bree checked in at the counter and got her gate number. C43. She pulled her passport out of her purse and flashed it to the guy at security, who checked her boarding pass and I.D, then promptly let her through as if he had no idea what she was going through. Which, of course, he didn’t.

After unloading all of her stuff into plastic bins she walked through the metal detector. A shrill alarm went off and Bree looked at herself, wondering if she’d forgotten to take off some jewelry or a belt or something. She couldn’t see anything, and the security guard was already patting her down.

“Can you check your pockets, miss?”

Bree nodded and shoved her hands in the pockets of her jeans. She felt something small and circular in her right pocket. She pulled it out, confused as to why one of her rings was in her pocket. She usually stored her rings in a jewelry box when she wasn’t wearing them.

Except this wasn’t one of her rings. As she pulled it out of her pocket, she took a look at it. It was a slim, silver band with a medium-sized white diamond on the top.

She looked up at the security guard who was walking away, obviously having decided a weepy girl with a ring in her pocket wasn’t a threat. But Bree’s eyes didn’t follow the security guard, they were distracted by a flash of brown curls.