Chapter Four

4 - The Band

When Kaitlyn stepped onto the large bus, it was then that it really hit her that this was happening and it wasn't just another nightmare she was having from last night.

She anxiously clutched the sides of her shirt as she trailed behind Jack. He slowly pulled back the bus door and cold air immediately hit her body and she shivered. She was dressed in a floral shirt with purple shorts. Jack looked down at her, noticing her state. He was about to speak when he heard a sudden cackle from the other side of the bus and realized that they weren't alone.

"Dude," Thomas said in disbelief, "I honestly thought you were gay." The Mexican guy from the corner of the room trailed off.

"Well, I wasn't that surprised." Said another guy from the couch. He glanced up once and went back to reading the large book that was in between his hands.

The first guy who had spoke let out a laugh. "Who would've thought that you had a thing for dark chocolate." He joked and another man walked out into the living room area. He was a big black guy, with skin almost as dark as Kaitlyn's. He frowned at the other guy before looking to Jack.

"Dude, you told me that kiss with my sister was nothing." He exclaimed, his fists clenching.

Jack immediately spoke up. "It was. You know I wouldn't kiss your sister behind your back. It was her birthday and she wanted a kiss. I didn't kiss her, she kissed me. End of story."

The black guy relaxed a little. "It better be." He muttered before shifting his dark gaze over to Kaitlyn. "So you're our new groupie, huh?" He asked. Kaitlyn couldn't tell if he was joking or being rude, she had only met the man.

"Uh, no." She answered unsurely. All three of the new men's eye's were on her. She looked to Jack for help and he sighed.

"Guys, stop." He commanded, "Kaitlyn's just staying with us for awhile until the chaos dies down and then she's going back home."

The Mexican guy frowned. "That is so not fair. Why does Jack get to bring his one night stand along?" He huffed childishly and Lee snorted.

"Maybe because Jack's the only one dumb enough to be caught with his?" He offered.

Jack rolled his eyes at them and motioned for Kaitlyn to stand by his side. "Kaitlyn, these are the other guys of the band. That idiot in the corner is Thomas, the Mexican, he's the lead singer. The guy reading the book is, Lee, the Asian - he plays the drums, and the one who wanted to fight me earlier is Dane," he motioned to him, "the black guy - he plays bass."

Dane frowned. "Why'd you have to say it like that?"

"Like what?" Jack replied tiredly.

Dane used air quotes as he spoke, "The black guy. You didn't say the Mexican guy or the Asian guy."

"Are we really doing this?"

Thomas laughed. "Ignore him. He's been watching too much 'Roots.' The other day I had asked him to go get a broom so he could clean the living room and it took both Charles and Lee to keep him from killing me." He shot a bright grin towards Kaitlyn, "He's sensitive." He ended cheekily.

Dane ignored him and turned back to Kaitlyn, now interested in the beautiful woman. "So, how old are you?" He questioned.

"I just turned twenty two yesterday." Was her timid reply.

Thomas clapped his hands together. "Dude, no way. It was your birthday and you got laid." He shot his twinkling eyes over to Jack. "Man, what is with you and making people's birthday wishes come true? Are you like the birth fairy?" He asked in awe. "Because if so, for my birthday I want a woman who's built like a goddess and has curves like a-" he stopped before walking over to Kaitlyn and grabbing her hand. "Man, you work fast." He whistled and started pulling her into his chest.

Jack instinctively reached out his hand and pulled her back. "She's off limits."

Thomas stepped back and blew her a kiss. Jack shot him a glare and he immediately raised his hands in surrender.

"Fine, fine." He backed away, "I'll stop. For now." He got out, darting back to his side of the room before Jack could grab him by the collar.

Kaitlyn watched the men in indifference. They didn't seem like they were a band. They just seemed so..

"Different?" Lee spoke up, reading her mind. She nervously looked at him.

"Yeah, how?" She started and Thomas grinned.

"He's creepy like that. Always knows what everyone is thinking or going to say. He's so observant it's scary."

Lee hadn't replied to her question himself, just turned back to his book. Dane and Thomas made a comment about finding a movie to watch for the road and headed into one of the rooms in the back while Lee mentioned something about finding a more challenging book to read before heading to his own room.

Jack could tell that Kaitlyn was a little overwhelmed by everything, mostly his friends, but he wanted her to feel comfortable. "Sorry about..them."

She met his green eyes. "No, um, it's fine. They're just different is all." She said shyly, using the word Lee had said earlier. Jack shrugged.

"Different, yes. Idiots? Definitely."

Silence fell over them once again before Jack spoke back up. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. "If you're still tired I can let you sleep in my room, it's still seven o'clock and I know you probably didn't sleep much last night."

She gave a small nod. Not exactly trusting herself to speak. So much had happened in the past two days and she was just so tired of thinking about how she was going to get out of this mess. Jack took her nod as an agreement and lead her to the bed.