New Chapter

Not Edited

(NC) - The Beauty

      "Okay," Jack said tossing a small coin to Kaitlyn, his eyes shining brightly as he watched her, "Make a wish." He urged, noticing the strange look that fell upon Kaitlyn's face as she glanced from the quarter in her hand, and then back to him.

Jack rubbed the side of his neck sheepishly, as he had already pretty much gathered what she was probably thinking about the whole situation. "Childish, I know, but give it a try."

She held the quarter up, inspecting it in the light before bringing it back down to her lap. "What's the point in all of this?" She asked, "It's not like my wish will actually come true." She stated, ready to give the coin back to him. He pushed her hand away and smiled.

"But that's what's so powerful about wishing wells. Yes, in theory, you're not going to get what you wished for, but the ability to hope for something in return for asking even when you know it most likely won't come true is amazing."

A frown slipped upon Kaitlyn's face. "Why would anyone still do that if they knew nothing would happen anyway. That's stupid."

Jack thought of another way to break what he was trying to say down to her, "Okay, let me give you an easier example. A wishing well is like God, (even though God is nothing like a wishing well.) We send our prayers and requests to God even when we don't know that he'll bring them to pass, but we still have faith that he will. We still have hope that no matter what we've been asking for, or no matter how many times we didn't get it, we will still go back to him the next time, even more certain that we'll get what we asked for time and time again until it finally manifests."

Jack waved his hands over the well. "This well is symbolic of the box we put God in. The money we throw down there is symbolic of our prayers and requests that we make known to God, in a sense. A lot of us don't take the wishing well seriously because we've thrown money down it time and time again, and still, we don't get what we ask for. So when someone tells us to make a wish, we become skeptical and stop wishing, because things aren't changing - our wishes aren't coming true." He paused before continuing. "We start half heartily making wishes because we don't want to wish for something and be let down when it doesn't come true."

He glanced down, as if he were thinking. "So with God, a lot of us pray and pray and still don't get what we asked for, and sometimes we feel as though our prayers are falling on deaf ears. So we begin to doubt God, we begin to stop looking at him as the God who can do exceedingly abundantly of anything we ask or think, and we lose faith. We start to look at God as a wishing well, a place where our coins go to die, a place where our prayers go unanswered. A place where we go to God half heartily with our requests because we don't want to be let down. But it's not true, God hears every prayer, every word you say or think. You may not always get an answer to your prayer the way you want it or when you want it, but you will, even if it just means that whatever you're wishing for isn't for you, he has something better and we have to stop trying to rush him and what we want him to do. It's his will be done, not ours. Everything is in his timing. We have to get God out of the box that we put him in, he's not a place where our hopes and dreams go to die, he's the one that brings them to pass on his timing, his way. People stop seeing the beauty of the wishing well because it's a dark place where they're reminded that their wishes won't come true, but with God, he's the one who hears our every word and moves the mountains and parts the sea just to make them come true. If you can't even see the beauty in the wishing well, the hope that is there, then how can you go boldly to God asking something and expecting to receive it?"

He watched Kaitlyn. She sat quietly for a moment. Jack nodded to her hand. "Go ahead, make a wish." Jack said again, before adding, "and this time when you make it, don't hold back. Believe that you'll have whatever it is you've been hoping for and be content in the fact that it'll happen, even if it doesn't. That's faith. The hope that triumphs over every situation." He breathed, "But when you make that request known, don't just throw it down the wishing well where it will ultimately go to die, give whatever you've been waiting for to happen so desperately over to God, and let whatever internal war you've got raging on inside of that mind of yours stop."