New Chapter

Not edited

(NC) - The Thoughts

     "I think Kaitlyn should cook from now on," Thomas said lazily as he flopped down onto the couch, kicking off his shoes. Lee followed behind him, picking up his shoes before sitting them off to the side neatly, and taking a seat next to his friend. He turned his gaze to Kaitlyn, before nodding to the other guys. 

"I usually don't agree with Thomas very often, but this time he's right. Kaitlyn really is a good cook."

      "And she makes the best brownies." Dane said dreamily, popping another piece of the chocolate chip brownie into his mouth. He munched down loudly as he continued to chew on the tasty treat until it was gone. He rubbed his stomach as he sat back in his chair. "We should've had you cooking the first day you got here."

Kaitlyn rubbed her neck shly, "Thanks, I don't think i'm that good, but I know a little."

   "You must have learned it from your mom." Dane stated. Kaitylyn felt her heart drop a little as she tried to form the words.

"Yeah, she's a great cook." She replied absentmindedly.

Lee noticed the slight change in her character and decided to change the subject. "So yeah, who wants to watch a movie?" He suggested, coming to Kaitlyn's rescue. She turned to him, the look in her eyes showing that she was still lost in her thoughts.

Thomas shot up from the couch, "I know the perfect movie." He said excitedly.

Dane rolled his eyes. "We're not watching Predators again."

      Thomas wined. "Why not, it's like the best movie ever."

"We're not saying that it's not a good movie, we're all just saying that we're sick of watching it every other day. You've already watched the movie seven times this month. I think it's time you retire it." Jack replied honestly.

"I think it's time you retire your face." Thomas said back, as he continued to search for predators on the television. Dane laughed loudly, watching as Jack laid a hand against his forehead in aggravation.

     "You know what, I'm just going to call it a night." He said tiredly. Dane shot his eyes over to Jack, a certain look in his eyes that Kaitlyn couldn't decipher.

"Is it your leg?" He said almost automatically, causing the other guys to immetaley stop what they were doing and look at him. Jack spared Kaitlyn a single glance before shaking his head.

"No, it's fine," He said, "I'm just tired. I'm gonna go ahead and go to bed. I'll see ya'll in the morning." He waved goodbye and headed down the hall to his room and shut the door. The second the door shut, Thomas looked back at everyone, a large grin on his face.

     "So anyone up for Predators?"

- - -

Two hours later and the movie had finally gone off. Kaitlyn stretched her aching legs against the couch, trying to wake herself up. Lee kicked Dane in the leg, causing Dane to shoot up from the couch, drool still hanging from the side of his mouth.

     "Huh, what?" He uttered in a disorderly fashion.

Lee stared down at him. "The movie's over, wake up." He told him, waiting for him to get up so that he could walk by him. Dane pushed himself up from his seat, stretching his arms.

"Where's Thomas?" He yawned, looking around the living room for his friend. Lee rolled his eyes.

    "Halfway through the movie he got bored and went to his room." Lee replied.

Dane rubbed the back of his head. "Seriously, who picks out a movie and then leaves halfway through it." He commented, "He could have at least taken it out and put something else in before leaving."

"Like Thomas would be that considerate." Lee huffed, "He left as soon as we fell asleep and didn't even bother waking us up." Lee replied, "My neck is going to hurt like mess in the morning." He said to himself, "Anyway, i'm going to bed, i'll see you two in the morning."

After Lee was gone, Dane shifted his eyes to Kaitlyn. She was still sitting on the couch, staring sleepily at the tv screen. He nodded at her. "So, you going to bed or what?" He questioned, picking up his phone from the chair he had been sitting in. Kaitlyn snapped out of her daze, looking down at her phone to see that it was already twelve in the morning.

      "Uh, yeah, i'm going." She replied back, pushing herself up from the couch, stumbling slightly. Dane instinctively brought his arm out to catch her, his strong grip steading her.

"Careful," He said.

She pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. "Thanks." She said back smally, feeling embarrassed for almost face planting the floor.

He shrugged. "No problem."

They stood in an awkward silence for a few moments before Dane clapped his hands together. "Well, yeah, I'm going to head on to bed. Night." He rushed out before heading down the hall and shutting his own door.

Kaitlyn let out a sigh before flopping back down onto the couch, watching as the credits continued to roll on the screen. What was she doing? She thought to herself, as she sat in the dark living room, the ending song of the movie playing softly over her thoughts.

She was supposed to be at home, at her job, for heaven's sakes. Not going to backstage concerts, cooking meals for a group of guys, and having movie nights with a bunch of rockstars. This wasn't normal, and she began to internally beat herself up for getting lost in the little fantasy life she had been living for the past few days.

She had a job, bills to pay, she had responsibilities, and here she was ignoring every single one of them as if this was her life. Her life would never be this carefree, this fun.

She looked down at her phone, her message box still empty since the day she had met Jack at the bar. No one had messaged or called to check on her, to see if she made it home okay, or to even see why she hadn't come into work. Her own mother and father hadn't even left a single message asking where she was, not that they would've cared anyway. They never called, they never checked on her. Their excuse was always that they 'didn't have the time.' Which really meant, 'we're too busy living our own lives right now, you should be old enough to understand that.'

Kaitlyn wished she could've just forgot about all of the pending thoughts surging through her head at that moment, but she couldn't. She wanted to just forget about everything and everyone back home and just enjoy this moment that she might never get again, but she couldn't. The thoughts weighed on her endlessly, every second of everyday. It shouldn't have been that big of a deal, but it was. Was she really that unimportant?

     "Stop it," she immediately whispered to herself, cutting off those thoughts that would torment her all night if she gave them anymore thought. She shook her head tiredly, pushing herself up from the couch and heading to her room. The only thing she could do now was to go to bed. Since she didn't know how to deal with the thoughts surging through her mind, the best thing she could do was go to sleep. At least there she could forget about them for a little while, and find the peace of mind she so desperately needed.