Chapter Seventeen

17 - The Party (Part 2)

As they entered the building, loud music filled their ears. People were chatting and laughing all around them, while a few were dancing on the dance floor. Jack saw Dane and Lee sitting at the table. "Where's Thomas?"

Dane pointed in the direction of the ridiculously long buffet table. "Probably swimming naked in the chocolate fountain already. Who knows."

Jack sighed. "Just make sure you tell him that the ceremony starts at 8:00 and he better be back at the table by then."

Dane lifted his hand. "Aye aye captain." He replied and Jack rolled his eyes before looking at Kaitlyn.

     "Would you like to dance?" He asked.

Kaitlyn stared at their still interlocked hands before nodding.

"Sure." She breathed.

Jack smiled and led her to the floor. A slow song began to play as he pulled her closer so that they were only inches apart, laying his large hand on the small of her back. The last time they had been this close was when he had woken up next to her in bed. Flashes of the night had been popping in and out of his head for the past few weeks, but he still couldn't remember exactly how he had ended up in bed with her.

But looking at the way her dress clung to her toned body made him want to remember, everything.

"You look beautiful tonight." He said. He noticed when her face scrunched up slightly.

"You know you don't have to lie. You won't hurt my feelings." She joked.

He spun her around on the floor before pulling her back. He narrowed his eyes. "Why can't you just take a compliment? If I say you look beautiful then that's what I meant."

"I," she looked down, "Thank you."

She leaned into his chest as the music started to fade out. She wanted to stay like this forever. She wondered what it would be like to not have to go home after the chaos had finally died down. Many questions ran through her mind at that moment. Would she and Jack have a chance if she stayed? Did he even want her to stay?

Or more importantly..

Would he let her stay once he found out that she had been lying?

She felt her facade falter slightly. Jack's green eyes met her own and she knew what she had to do.

"Jack." She said quietly.

He beamed down at her. "Yeah?"

"Can we go talk out on the balcony for a second?" She questioned.

Tonight was the night. She had to tell him the truth.

Jack was about to reply when a very loud, drunk voice echoed throughout the building. Everyone's attention darted to the stage.

"Can I please get everyone's attention for a second!" Shouted a familiar voice. The man on the stage fell forward before catching himself.

"Woo," he slurred, before positioning his mic back up to his mouth. "Like I was saying, I would just like to take a moment to inform you all that I have a best friend."

"Annnnnd she's pretty awesome." He added with a grin, "and hot. Not to mention she made me buy these pink underwear the other day. At first I was like no way am I wearing those, because I'm a dude and all. But she convinced me that I could pull it off."

He fidgeted with his belt and everyone let out a gasp. "Wait a sec, just want to get your guys honest opinion on my awesome briefs." He said before running into the microphone stand and falling off of the stage.

Jack groaned and sent a quick look to Kaitlyn. "I'll meet you on the balcony in five." He promised before making his way through the crowd to go and retrieve Thomas.