Chapter Twenty One

21 - The Pinky Promise

       "Kaitlyn, have you seen my hairbrush?" Her roommate yelled loudly as she walked through the door of her room. Kaitlyn picked up the glittery brush before tossing it to her.

Sara started to brush her hair, "Thanks, you're a life saver." She exclaimed as she sat the brush down on the dresser. She looked over to Kaitlyn, noticing the distant look she always seemed to get every once and awhile. She walked over to her bed and plopped down besides her.

     "Sooo, what's the matter now?" She asked.

Kaitlyn pushed a strand of hair behind her ear. It had grown longer over the past few months, and was now down to the middle of her back. She sighed. "It's nothing. Just been thinking."

Sara nodded knowingly. "About those famous boys you were linked to a while back?" She said nudging her shoulder.

Kaitlyn slumped her shoulders. It had been almost a year since she had left the guys. When she had first gotten back home, the press was all over her, but after the first two months they grew bored and eventually fizzled out.

Since she had been fired from her old job the first day she returned home, she had become tight with money. She found another job at a local dinner, but waiting tables wasn't really enough to pay for her apartment. So she sent out an ad looking for a roommate.

Luckily for her, Sara had answered her ad. Sara was a year older than she was. She was an overall friendly person and could pretty much get along with anyone. Although, occasionally she could be a bit of a jerk when she wanted to. But that's what Kaitlyn liked about her, Sara wasn't afraid to speak her mind. She and Kaitlyn had become friends fast, and Kaitlyn had shared some of her story with her.

      "So, do you ever think about what it would have been like if you would've stayed?" She asked quietly.

"At first," she said, "but now, now I know that you can't change the past, and as for my future. There's not much hope for that either."

Sara felt bad for her friend. She still didn't know the whole story, but she knew that Kaitlyn must've really liked one of those guys, because every time their face appeared on tv or their song played on the radio, she immediately changed it or went to another room.

She patted Kaitlyn's back. "Don't stress yourself out too much. You're far too pretty and smart for that."

Kaitlyn smiled at her. "Thanks, you too."

She shook her head. "Pretty? Most definitely. Smart? Not really my cup of tea," she said in distaste as she shot up from the bed. "Now come on. We have to be at work at eight and it's already nine o'clock."

Kaitlyn quickly jumped up.

     "Let's just take our time, because either way that old man is going to give us a whole speech when we get there." Sara complained, "I can already see it now, 'Back in my day the only reason we showed up late to things was if we were dead. And the only reason we were dead is if we showed up late." She continued, talking in a low, crackly voice.

   Kaitlyn playfully pushed her friend. "He never says anything like that." She said grabbing her purse and heading for the door.

Sara rubbed her arm as she followed behind her.

    "Well, how should I know? It's not like I ever listen to a word he's saying anyways."

- - -

      "You're late." Mr. Harrison noted as the two women sauntered through the front door.

Kaitlyn lifted her head. "We are extremely sorry, Mr. Harrison, it won't happen again." She promised while Sara popped a piece of her bubblegum and rolled her eyes.

"And?" Sara replied.

Mr. Harrison's veins stressed against his pale skin. He looked as if he would explode at any moment. He touched the side of his forehead with his index finger before darting his eyes back to the girls.

     "Just go get dressed and get to work." He ordered before walking to his office.

Kaitlyn headed to get her uniform with Sara trailing behind her. When they reached the room they both grabbed their uniform and got dressed. Sara was tying the shoelaces of her shoes when she turned to Kaitlyn.

       "So, my mom's having this party tonight for my brother and a couple of his friends. Some of our family will be there but not a lot. Do you think you would like to come?" She asked tentatively.

Kaitlyn made a face.

"Please," Sara begged. "It'll be fun, I promise, and I won't leave your side." She said holding her pinky finger out. "Pinky promise."

Kaitlyn reluctantly stretched her hand forward. "Fine, but just don't make me regret it." She said grudgingly.

Sara smiled widely. "I'm really hoping I do just the opposite."

Soo any thoughts about Sara? Who is she? Wasn't going to ask the question but hey. 😏