Chapter Twenty Three

I honestly think I was high or something when I wrote this because when I finished the chapter it was stupid long. So I decided to split it up into two parts. :'D You're welcome.

23 - The Friend

Betrayed, Hurt, and Humiliated. That's exactly how Kaitlyn felt the moment she turned to the person she had considered a friend during some of the most depressing times of her life.

"How could you." She barley whispered. Sara took a step towards her, guilt etched onto her face.

"I can explain. I just wanted to see you happy again. You were always so sad and I hated it, so I thought maybe if I invited you here tonight you could work out your problems." She admitted. "I know I should've been honest with you, but I knew that if I said anything you wouldn't have come."

"So what? In the beginning this was your plan all along? You're Charle's sister for heaven's sake! Of course it was." She shook her head in disbelief. "I'm so stupid."

"Kaitlyn," Charles reached for her shoulder only for her to rip out of his grasp.

"Kaitlyn." He called again, this time louder. "It wasn't Sara's fault. If you want to blame someone it should be me."

"There you go again trying to be the freaking hero." Thomas suddenly appeared beside Charle's along with Dane, Lee, and Jack. They were all looking at Kaitlyn with a sheepish look, all except Jack who adorned a stony face.

Lee smiled. "If you want to blame anyone, it should be all of us." He motioned to Charles, Dane, Thomas, and then to himself before looking at Jack. "We're sorry we didn't tell you either, but.."

"You were starting to get a little unbearable." Charles admitted while Dane snorted.

"Just go ahead and be honest. He was acting like a total bit-"

"Dane, language!" Laura snapped. He grinned, "My bad."

Everyone rolled their eyes before turning their attention back to Kaitlyn. Thomas rubbed the back of his neck. "We were all worried about you, Kaitlyn. When you left you stopped returning my texts and wouldn't answer my calls. I thought that maybe something was wrong." He sighed, "So when we called your old address, we found out that you were having financial problems and that you were currently looking for a roommate. We figured that we'd just ask Sara to stay with you for awhile to help out, just until things started to get better for you." He finished.

"Is that true?" Kaitlyn asked. Sara nodded.

"Yes, well at first it was just to help you out, but over time I actually started to consider you as a good friend." She said honestly.

Kaitlyn wasn't really sure how to feel. She didn't want to yell at them because they had all had her best interest in mind. She let out a sigh as her eyes slowly found the one person who had yet to say anything about their situation. Jack's green eyes were looking everywhere but her. She didn't really expect for him to say anything to her, but she was here now, so why not try.

"And is it true?" She started, the words getting stuck in her throat.

"Yes." Sara said again.

Kaitlyn shook her head, standing straighter as she stared at Jack. "Is it true what they said, Jack?" She asked again. This time instead of Jack staring at the wall behind her or at the floor, his eyes found hers.

His face didn't give anything away. He stood in silence just watching her. Kaitlyn finally gave up, slumping her shoulders.

"Forget it, I'm going home." She stated, pulling out her phone to call a taxi. Sara tried to talk her out of it, but she had already made up her mind. She didn't belong here. Didn't belong with them and she never would.

As she reached the front door a low voice stopped her. If she hadn't been listening hard enough she would have missed it.

"What?" She said quietly, hoping for him to repeat his words.

He dropped his shoulders in frustration. "I said, and what if it was true?"

Kaitlyn could feel her eyes brimming. "I can't do this." She said, turning away. Jack immediately caught her by the arm.

"I know I don't deserve your attention after the things I've said to you, but I'm sorry. Now please, give me one more second before you go running out of my life again." He said brokenly.

He released her arm, not taking his eyes off of her. "Everyone give us a second." He dismissed, not bothering to see if they had left the room.

Kaitlyn rubbed her wrist gently from where he had grabbed her arm earlier. He frowned.

      "Did I?"

"No." she bit out harshly before wincing, "I'm sorry. I didn't mean for it to come out like that."

He shook his head. "I deserved it."

They stood still, waiting for the other to speak up. "I'm sorry for the things I said. I shouldn't have.." he ran a hand through his hair. "I was upset and confused. I should've at least listened to what you had to say instead of pushing you away. I shouldn't have acted the way I did towards you."

Kaitlyn stared hardly at the floor. "You really hurt me."

"I know-"

"You made me feel like some gold digger."

         An indescribable look passed through his eyes. "I can't take back what I said, Kaitlyn." He cautiously stepped towards her. "But I am sorry for the way things ended between us."

She took a deep breath. "Me too. I should have been honest from the start. It would've probably saved us both a whole lot of hurt."

"I could have been more truthful in the beginning if we're being honest." He agreed softly. "Can I, Can I show you something?" He asked. The fear written clearly on his face. Kaitlyn had never seen him look so scared before, it wasn't a look she was accustomed to seeing on him.

He reached out his hand, waiting for her to grab it. She swallowed hardly, placing her hand into his.

He led her through the living room towards the staircase. "Do we really have to go to another room?" She asked nervously as they headed up the dark walkway.

He said nothing as they walked into the first open room and she settled herself down upon the bed.