Chapter Nineteen

19 - The Goodbye

         Jack was mad. No, he was passed mad, he was angry. Angry with himself..angry at her. He shouted loudly as he hit his fist against the side of the black limo. Everyone was still inside the building enjoying the party, while he stood out in the freezing night air, trying to figure out exactly how his love life had turned so tragic. Not that he even had one in the first place.

It wasn't as if he and Kaitlyn were dating. Heck, she probably didn't even feel any ounce of love towards him. The thought made his heart clench. He had stupidly allowed himself to slowly fall for her and all along she had been lying. He felt like the world's biggest idiot.

Jack laid his head against the side of the limo. There was no reason for him to be upset, he convinced himself. He owed her nothing. He could push aside his little crush for Kaitlyn just until Charles gave her the okay to leave. He expected it would be soon, considering that the press wasn't as interested in them as they had been in the beginning.

He tightened his fist. He could make it through a few more days, he told himself. Now the only thing he had to worry about was his hurt ego.

- - -

Kaitlyn sat at an empty table at the back of the party waiting for Jack to suddenly pop up and forgive her and act like their fight had never happened, but she knew better.

It wasn't as if they were a couple or anything. All he did was confess his feelings, but feelings can change within seconds and she knew that she had lost her chance at being happy.

       She turned her head when Dane's shadow appeared over the table. Dane had typed something onto his phone before angrily shoving it in his pocket. "I promise once we go on break I'm blocking Thomas's number." He huffed, before looking over at Kaitlyn's tear stricken face. "Yikes!" He exclaimed, "What happened to your face?"

     She wiped a hand across her eyes. "It's nothing. Where's Charles? I need to speak to him."

Dane shrugged. "No clue. He's probably back on the limo with Thomas. The last time I saw him he asked me to see if you guys were ready to go."

She stood up from her chair. "Thanks."

"No problem. I'm just gonna go find the other two and then we'll be headed back." He nodded, heading in the opposite direction.

When Kaitlyn made it to the side of the limo she reached out her hand, not expecting for the door to instantly swing open. She yanked her hand away and stared down at the culprit.

Jack was holding the door out as if he was going to exit but he never did. He sat silently, watching to see what she would do next.

Kaitlyn held his cold gaze, wavering slightly before she pushed past him and stepped into the limo, sitting as far away as possible from Jack.

Thomas was seated on the opposite side, snoring loudly. Kaitlyn forced her eyes to look out the window, not wanting to make their current situation any worse.

They sat in silence for a good ten minutes before Kaitlyn spoke up. "I'm sorry again."

Jack didn't reply. He continued to stare out his side of the window acting as if he didn't hear a thing she was saying.

Her heart dropped, but she knew she deserved the way he was acting towards her.

"I never meant to lie to you. It just sort of..happened." She continued.

    "I'll talk to Charles tonight about leaving."

Jack made no effort to reply.

Kaitlyn finally gave up, laying her head against the glass window.

If he didn't want her here then who was she to try and stay? She shut her eyes. She would be on her way back home tomorrow. Back to her old job, back to her apartment, and back to the loneliness she had grown accustomed to before she had met Jack. She'd be okay, she assured herself.

She had lived most of her life surrounded by people who could care less about her, so why would now be any different?

It was time to say goodbye to her wish of finally finding people who actually enjoyed being around her just because she was regular, plain, Kaitlyn.

It was time to say goodbye to the closest thing she had ever had to feeling accepted.

Friends.