II.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER II.

Reia groaned as Regulus tossed her a thick book.

While Slughorn had chosen to pair her with Lucius, McGonagall had chosen to pair her with Regulus Black.

The Library was empty save for Regulus, Reia and a couple of Hufflepuff girls, who were reading in a corner at the other side of the Library.

Regulus was sitting on the ground, reading through multiple Transfiguration books at the same time, while Reia had been late—she'd totally not forgotten—and was still standing, staring down at Regulus Black.

It was a rare sight, to see the fearsome Slytherin Regulus Black surrounded by a pile of textbooks.

"What's that?" Reia snapped, glancing down at the book that had landed at her feet.

She crossed her arms stubbornly and kicked the book back to Regulus.

"It's a book," Regulus rolled his eyes, "I knew you were stupid, but I didn't think you were that stupid."

"I think I've done enough to earn my place in the Slytherin House."

Indeed, she had.

"Alright, alright, fine," Regulus admitted, "That time you defended our House against the Gryffindors earned yourself your place, and earned all of our respect—most of it, anyway—because you're a Lupin and we purebloods can't respect you fully, ever," He gave her a teasing grin, but Reia just rolled her eyes, "Well, I mean, it does take some guts to get up there and yell at the Gryffindors—and make them take a step back and surrender without even using magic. You just look scary enough, I suppose."

"I think all of them are pretty afraid of me," Reia said with a satisfied smile, "It keeps them from annoying me like they do to Snape, anyway."

Regulus shrugged, "I guess. But I—,"

"Anyway," Reia cut him off with a sharp look, "Hurry up with what you were saying before."

"What, about you being stupid?"

Reia glared at him.

"Alright, alright," Regulus raised his arms in surrender, "No need to be so hostile. So that's the book you have to study for your part of the assignment. Just read the part about transfiguring the birds—which, is what we're studying."

"Right, right, right," Reia said, picking up the book with a grunt, "Have you checked this book out already?"

"Yes," Regulus said dryly, "Under your name. Make sure to study it—I don't want to fail."

"Whoa, Black, I didn't realise you were so concerned and obsessed with your schoolwork," Reia said, raising her eyebrows.

After a moment of silence, Regulus said fiercely, "I'm not obsessed. I'm just not a failure."

***

"Reggie," Reia said, sliding into her seat, her eyes carefully watching the cat that sat on the desk at the front of the room, "Did you get anything done?"

"Obviously," Regulus said with a roll of his stormy, grey eyes, "Did you?"

"Uh, yes, duh," Reia said, mocking offense, "I know that I'm a Slytherin, but I'm not mean."

"Oh, of course, Rei, you're so, so unbelievable nice," Regulus said with a wry smile, "Whatever, Reia."

Regulus could've been Sirius Black's twin—except his features were less recognisably from the Black Family—while he possessed the same dark hair, grey eyes and haughty look, his facial features had a touch of his mother's face—less sharp and less recognisably from the Black Family.

"Aww," Reia said, poking Regulus' cheek playfully, "You're so adorable."

Regulus just rolled his eyes at him, "You—,"

"Regulus!"

Regulus sighed exasperatedly and turned around, "What do you want, Sirius?"

"Don't be rude," Sirius gasped mockingly, "I just wanted to say 'Hi'."

His friends, who were pretending to read their textbooks but were so obviously listening in to the conversation, snickered.

"Whatever," Regulus said, rolling his eyes, "Just leave me alone, Sirius."

"Fine, fine," Sirius said, giving Regulus an irritated look, "Just saying hi to my little brother."

Regulus just shook his head, "Which I used to be."

For a split-second, Reia swore she saw Sirius' eyes flash with sadness and loneliness, but it was quickly replaced with a grin.

"Right, right," Sirius said casually, before he swaggered back to his desk.

Regulus sighed and turned back to Reia and said quietly, "Ever since he was disowned last Summer, he's been wanting to approach me. But the truth is...he'll never stand beside me ever again. I'll never be able to stand beside him, either. Not as his little brother. Not anymore. And he keeps on trying to mend our brotherly bond...but..."

Reia put a gentle hand on Regulus' shoulder, "Hey, Reg." She gave him a sincere smile, "It's okay."

"It's not okay," Regulus said softly, "But alright. I'll...stop thinking about it."

"No," Reia said sharply, "Don't stop thinking about it. Stop worrying about it. Stop hurting about it."

"I will try."

Author's Note:
Thanks for reading! If you liked this chapter, give it a vote or leave a comment to let me know! Thanks!