LXXIX.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER LXXIX.

Caelum sighed as he heard footsteps following him, and tried to outrun them—but finally, after a while of relentless chasing, he turned around.

As predicted, it was Draco Malfoy—Caelum's cousin.

He didn't exactly know how distantly they were related on the Family Tree (not that Caelum was recognised on the Family Tree at all), but they were related in some way.

"Draco," Caelum said, trying to hide his irritation, "What do you need?"

Draco and Caelum had developed some sort of strange 'friendship' in Draco's first year when Caelum had helped him find his way to the Potions classroom. The younger boy was undeniably rude, but Caelum didn't see the purpose in being rude in return, because he'd tried insulting someone before, and it had only ended in him unintentionally insulting himself.

Draco narrowed his eyes, "Did you get my letters?"

"Yes, Draco, all twelve of them," Caelum said, running a hand through his hair, his tone tired even as he kept a half-smile on his face.

"And you didn't respond?" Draco's tone was rather offended.

"Draco," Caelum sighed, "I don't write letters. I'm sorry, but I just don't."

"Why not?" Draco asked, his tone becoming curious rather than annoyed, "Can you not write?"

Caelum genuinely laughed at that, even though Draco's expression revealed that he didn't believe what he'd said had been funny at all.

"I've been attending Hogwarts for four years, Draco, I think I'd know how to write," Caelum responded, "I don't write letters because I just don't like letters in general. I don't like owls, I don't like ink, I don't like quills—it's all terribly impractical."

Draco grumbled, "I wanted you to actually answer my questions."

Caelum's eyes softened, "I'm sorry, Draco. I can't make excuses for that. I honestly just couldn't be bothered. I didn't even respond to any of Ernie's letters."

"And that's supposed to make me feel better."

"Well, I'd hoped so," Caelum furrowed his brows, "But if that didn't make you feel better, then here's some chocolate." He pulled out the chocolate bar that Remus had given him from his robe pocket and passed it to Draco.

"What is this?"

"Chocolate...?" Caelum said, unsure of what other answer Draco wanted.

Draco proceeded to examine the silver foil wrapping and the chocolate bar contained inside, much to Caelum's amusement and intrigue.

"It's terribly ordinary," Draco noted as he examined the—indeed—ordinary rectangular shape of the chocolate bar.

"You're terribly ordinary," Caelum retorted unintentionally, but after half a second he realised that what he'd said was rather mean. He quickly went to apologise, but then he noticed the small smile on the corner of Draco Malfoy's lips as he took a bite out of the chocolate.

"You're getting better," Draco remarked, amused.

Caelum sighed, unable to help the smile that made its way to his lips as he responded, "How's the chocolate?"

Draco took a second bite and replied, "I must admit...it's terribly good."

Caelum was sure that if Draco had known that it was muggle chocolate he was eating, his opinion would be completely different.