LXI.

Disclaimer: The Harry Potter World belongs to J.K. Rowling.

*

CHAPTER LXI.

Even after spending only five days in Azkaban, Regulus was worn down, tired, and not in the mood to do anything.

He couldn't even imagine spending a life sentence there—which was what Sirius had been sentenced to.

It was enough to make him regret ever feeling angry towards his brother; knowing what Sirius had to endure for the rest of his life.

Regulus distracted his thoughts from worrying about Reia and Sirius by taking care of Ariel and Caelum, who were energetic as always—but seemed to be constantly waiting for somebody.

Regulus knew who they were waiting for.

But he couldn't do anything about it—because nobody could find Reia.

Even after almost three years with Reia gone, now, the pain hadn't subsided, not in the slightest. It had become less of a stabbing agony but more of a constant throb—an aching pain in his heart that never seemed to die.

After being released from Azkaban, he had needed several days to recover, and after he'd tried searching for a job—everywhere, even in the muggle cities, trying to find somewhere where he'd be able to help support his family.

He didn't want to use his family's money; he wanted to support his children through his own work.

They lived in Grimmauld Place—because there had been so many charms and protective enchantments placed there that it was the safest place Regulus, Ariel and Caelum could stay.

Finally, he'd gotten a job in the Ministry, with the help of Dumbledore. It wasn't a very major job—he wasn't an Auror, or a Head of Department. He worked in the Department of Magical Transportation, in Broom Regulatory Control.

But Regulus was grateful for it, if only because it was a job, and that was more than he'd thought he'd ever have.

Dumbledore constantly told him that if Voldemort returned...or, as the Headmaster believed, when Voldemort returned, the Death Eaters may not trust him as much because Albus Dumbledore had helped him get out of his punishments.

"I'll just tell them I put you under the Imperius Curse or something," Regulus had replied tiredly, "To get you to help me."

He wasn't concerned with that at this point. What he was concerned about was finding Reia—but after so long, she was still somewhere else, and he still had children to care for...

So he'd placed his focus on giving Ariel and Caelum all the love that he could give them. He knew Reia was alive. She had to be.

She was strong, Regulus knew that much.

He'd made himself promise he wouldn't worry too much about Reia.

At least for the time being.

And when Regulus' children asked the question, he was prepared for it.

He was sitting on the couch, reading the Daily Prophet (Which had much more positive news than Regulus had ever seen, with Voldemort gone) and he'd heard the sound of footsteps descending the stairs and had carefully folded the newspaper up as Ariel and Caelum approached him.

"Where's our mum?" Caelum asked, climbing onto Regulus' lap and turning to give him a curious glance, "Ron and his brothers have a mum. Why don't Ari and I have one?"