Prologue

Faelen's POV - Monday Evening. Sept. 16

Kenley and I were out with our parents running the woods surrounding the town. We were a family of werewolves and we did not belong to a pack. The last pack in the town had moved on years ago, when Kenley and I were just little pups barely able to shift. Now we were young adults and would soon be of age to find our mates. At the age of seventeen, every wolf would feel a pull to their mate. Some followed it immediately, even if it meant leaving your pack to do so, others would chose to wait, knowing that they and their mate would one day cross paths. My sister and I had decided a few weeks ago that we would be among those that waited. We did not feel the need to run from our family and the only place we've known just for a mate that could take years to find, even if we did follow the pull immediately.

You might be asking Who am I by now, right? Easy. I'm the youngest of two by five minutes. Yep, Kenley and I are twins. My name is Faelen and aside from Kenley being a girl and me being a boy, we are identical. Both of us are very cute and small in size, five foot three, with porcelain skin tone and feminine looks. It was also hard to tell I wasn't a girl since my sister had small breasts so my lack of them didn't cause anyone to doubt me. I'm also gay, I've known since as far back as I could remember. While other boys were running around playing in dirt and getting into trouble, I was sitting around dreaming of my prince charming and playing with dolls and dressing up. My sister always wanted to be a knight or the prince but not because she wasn't hoping to find a prince charming, no it was because she didn't want to have to be rescued. She was far from a damsel in distress while I was the definition of it. I don't think I've ever worn boys clothes since I could start dressing myself at five. My mother of course loved dressing my sister up and I up. Oh right, there is also one other thing about my sister and I that is kind of important. We aren't your typical wolves. Our fur isn't some shade of brown, grey, white, or black but a fire red and as is the color of our hair as humans. As far as we know and could find out by reaching out to a few other packs, we are the only two fire red wolves.  We have no idea what it means other than us being rare, and I hope to never really find out because I like my life how it is.

Anyways, since that last pack moved on, the four of us took over patrolling the town boundaries. There was one road in or out for cars but rogue wolves or vamps, dark elves, incubi or succubi, etc. would often try and find their way in through the woods surrounding the town to reek havoc. It wasn't a huge urban town but it wasn't so small that everyone knew each other. It was also a town founded by my father's family almost a century ago. Most of my father's family had been killed of in a hunter raid when my father was a kid but the family stayed the figure heads and the family inheritance had allowed us to live in relative luxury in the old family home at the edge of town on the far side of the road in and out. The house is close to a mini castle in my opinion and in size and the grounds are covering quite a few acres of land, including a hedge maze and large garden area.

Today was going just like any other day, no signs of trouble and just a routine run. We were getting ready to head the final mile back to the road when my father suddenly stopped, nose in the air. My mother followed suit as did my sister and I. Wolves, a few of them and one was definitely an alpha and his heir judging by the powerful aura and the scent. A new pack was close by and would probably be asking to move into the area, take over the old pack house near the road into town. My father turned and gave my sister a nod and we knew that meant one thing. Run. So we did without question. It wasn't that our father thought we were in danger, but that he didn't want to let any other pack know of how rare we were before he knew he could trust them. We've had rogues and pack wolves alike wanting my sister and I simply because we were different. That was it. None of them knew anything about what our fur color was supposed to mean, they just wanted to be able to claim something unique.