Chapter Thirteen

Fae's POV - Friday Evening. Sept. 20

I had a feeling I knew why my brain decided to forget everything past my eighth birthday. That was the first year we started getting wolves trying to force claims on us. That and the fact that I had been given some very surprising information and lots of it had caused my mind to go back to the last time everything was perfectly simple for me. Callen had filled us in on everything we'd missed since we passed out. You'd think there wouldn't be much. We were wrong. My brain was on information overload thanks to learning that two hunters that had been looking for us to help us had ended up being why the group of hunters was after us to use or kill. And the fact that any time now, they'll be attacking and Ley and I are going to have to be a part of the fight. It was so different from the original plan. Hide me and Ley until it was all over and then everything would be fine. Nope, we were needed with our new strength if the wolves were to stand a chance against the small group.

While I did feel different and stronger, I didn't think we were as strong as an alpha, let alone stronger. Sure we had been told plenty by the Moon Goddess, how we had power that could drop an alpha to his belly like a submissive omega as well as many abilities that we could use to protect people. I also didn't want to risk anything by fighting. Don't look at me like I'm being a selfish coward or whatever. I feel like the moment my sister step out there to fight, we could lose everything. No not everything as in our material things. Those can be replaced. I mean our friends, our family, our futures, simply everything that can't be replaced. I know that some of our pack -yes I consider it our pack now since it will be mine and Callen's when his father steps down- will die today. I know there will be more loss for this pack that just lost so much before they came here. Callen just told me a little while ago that one of the ones lost from their pack was Jesse's mate. She had no idea and would probably never know. He had only just turned seventeen himself and was going to tell her before everything happened. She'll turn seventeen and never feel the pull of her mate, possibly have her hopes up that they aren't born yet, but that hope will slowly wither away as the years pass and I didn't want anyone else in this pack to have to face something like that let alone the loss of a mate already marked or a parent.

"Fae? You've got that look." Ley said to me as she walked up to me. Everyone was running around throughout the house, making sure everyone and everything was ready for the fight that could start anytime now. We were sitting up in my room on the floor and I had been staring out the door at the people that ran by until just now.

"What look? I don't have a look." I said and looked away from her.

"Fae, come on. You can't hide from me and now your mate. Get over it. Now tell me what's wrong?" I looked at her and saw my reflection in her eyes. My eyes were shining with barely withheld tears I hadn't realized were there. Tears for the pack members I'd lose today just because of what my sister and I were.

"I don't want anyone to die." I said simply. I couldn't voice all my thoughts without fear of the tears spilling and that would cause Callen to panic when he gets my rush of emotion which will panic the pack and it was something we didn't need right now of all times.

"They won't. We can save them if they do get hurt that badly. It's just a small group of hunters and they are missing three including their two strongest hunters who will be helping our side. They've even told the fighters what they're weaknesses and specialties are to help give us the upper hand. The fight is just a formality at this point. It'll be over before you can even blink and everything will be fine." She said and pulled me into a hug. I heard her take a deep breath as if smelling me before she pushed me away, her nose scrunched up as he looked at me.

"What?" I asked as she looked me over as if trying to find what might be putting whatever scent she seemed to be smelling.

"You smell different. Not just like we are suddenly more powerful wolves different. I mean, I only smell slightly different before but not much and only Cam has noticed it." She said as she pulled one of my wrists up to her nose and sniffed. "Ya, definitely weird." She said.