Chapter Nine

Unknown POV - Thursday Morning. Sept. 19

I was hot. I was tired. My feet hurt. My head hurt. My body hurt. I was dehydrated. I needed to eat. But none of this was 'important' apparently. I'm eighteen, have shoulder length black hair that almost looked blue with a single stripe of bright golden hair at my temple. No, I didn't dye my hair, I was born with it. Same with my two mismatched eyes. One was a bright spring green and the other was a teal blue. And currently, I was training to be a hunter. Werewolves had attacked my family on a camping trip a few months ago. I had barely survived and wished I hadn't. I watched them tear my father apart when he tried to stop them while they were in human form. They had shifted then and tore my mother apart as she tried to protect all of us. My older sister, my younger twin sisters, my baby brother, and me. Five of us and my baby brother was only one, had just turned one in fact. They sent me flying into a tree when I tried to stop them from taking my baby brother first. My sisters were screaming and crying and I was the only one strong enough to stand a chance. At least that had been what I thought.

Hitting that tree had knocked the air out of my lungs and stunned me for a few minutes but it was long enough for them to yank my older sister and the twins up as well. As I stood to charge at them, I was grabbed by two others and forced to watch as they raped then killed my sisters. They tore them to pieces. I had no idea what they'd done with my brother but they then attacked me. Shredded the skin on my back, slashed their claws across my chest and stomach, and broke my legs and arms. I was sure I was going to die when my eyes closed after they left me for dead. I should have been dead. Instead, I awoke in a cabin and bandaged up. My injuries were healed for the most part and I had no idea how. The man that had saved me told me he was a hunter. At first I just thought deer and moose and whatever. It was then he told me he hunted creatures like what had attacked us.

I had jumped at the opportunity to be taught to be a hunter. I sucked. Plain and simple. I was finally getting decent enough for him to take me out and my first hunt had been a fail. I'd made a pretty decent wound on the wolf and even managed to throw silver shavings into it as he ran by me but the others had told me to leave him be instead of chase him and then informed me that he'd be fine as soon as he got away from us. Apparently, that kind of attack only works on pups alone in the wild. Any wolf or pup with it's parent would be fine because the shavings could easily be removed and the wound would heal.

"You need to go for vital points, aim to kill not weaken." My mentor had told me. I hated how they treated me like a five year old but I understood it. Most hunters were trained from birth, well were born into the position and trained from the moment they first could and were usually skilled enough by ten to kill a wolf on their own. almost eight years of training to be able to kill without supervision. I didn't have that much time. We were headed for a town in search of red wolves. They were supposed to be very strong and powerful. If we could break them, turn them into tools for our use, then we could use them to easily kill of every other wolf we came into contact with. They were training me as we traveled and that was why i was currently wishing I was back home and eating my mothers home made cookies after school while bouncing my baby brother in my lap.

"Focus!" One of the hunters that had joined my mentor and I, yelled at me just before I felt a booted foot slam into my side. I collapsed to the ground and coughed, clutching my side in pain. "Che, pathetic. Jones! Why did you bring a child to a fight that we need and adult for?!" She yelled before walking over to my mentor. He looked over at me and, like always, his eyes focused on my stripe of blonde hair rather than me. I let myself fall over and roll to my back. We had decided that we'd continue to the town at noon and had camped here around four this morning. I got an hour of sleep before this lady yanked my up and said we were training. Now, it was probably about seven in the morning and I had yet to eat anything and was seriously sleep deprived.