chapter 10 master of arms

Rowe slides down the ladder from the docking bridge like it's a fire drill and sprints across the fantail.
Rowe"here, what's all this?
Rowe pulls Jake off of rose,
Revealing her dishevelled and sobbing on the deck, and Josie crying on her mother.
Rose's dress is torn, and the Hem is pushing up her knees, showing one ripped stocking. He looks at Jack. The shaggy steerage man with his jacket off, and the two first class lady's clearly in distress, and start drawing conclusions . To seaman jog across the deck to join them.
Rowe looked at Jack and said
"Here You, stand back  and don't move an inch! ( To the seaman ) fetch the master of arms.
A few minutes later. Jack is being detained  by the burly master of arms, the closest thing to a cop on broad. He was handcuffing Jack. Cal is in front of Jack and furious. He has obviously just rushed out here with Lovejoy and another man, and none of them have coats over their black tie evening dress. The other man is colonel Archibald Gracie,mustachioed blowhead who still has his brandy snifter. He offers it to the girls, who is hunched over hugging each other crying on a bench nearby, rose waves it away. Cal is more concerned with Jack . He grabs him by the lapels.
Cal"what makes you think you can put your hands on my fiancee, and have her sister to watch?look at me, you filth! What did you think you were doing?
Rose let Josie go and walked to cal.
Rose"cal stop!it was an accident"
Cal"an accident?"
Rose looked over at Jack getting eye contact
Rose"it was ...stupid really,I leaning over and I slipped,
I was leaning over to see the ah
Propellers . and I slipped, and I would have gone overboard..
And Mr Dawson here saved me
and almost went over himself.
Right Josie ( as she looked over at her).
Josie"yes"as she nodded her head.
Cal"you wanted to see the propellers?
Gracie (shaking his head) weman and machinery do not mix.
Master of arms ( looks at Jack) was that the way of it?
Rose and Josephine is begging him with their eyes not to say anything about what really happened.
Jack"uh yeah. that was pretty much it.
He looks at rose and Josie for a moment longer. Now they have a secret together.
Colonel Gracie"well! The boy is a hero then . Good for you son, Well done.(to cal) so it's all well and back to our brandy, eh?
Jack is uncuffed. Cal  gets rose and Josie to their feet and moving.
Cal  (rubbing Rose's arm) let get you're in it freezing.
Cal is leaving without a second thought for Jack.
Josie stays were she standing and rolls her eyes at cal.
Gracie (low) ah, perhaps a little something for the boy.
Josie smiled.
Cal" oh, right. Mr Lovejoy a twenty should do it.
Josie frowned and glared at cal.
Rose" it that the going rate for saving the woman you love"
Cal"rose is displeased. Mmm... what to do? I know turns back to Jack. He appraises him condescendingly...a streege ruffian, unwashed and ill- mannered.
Cal"I know. ( to Jack) perhaps you could join us for dinner tomorrow, to regale our with group on your heroic tale?"
Jack( looking straight at rose and Josie) Shure. Count me in.
Cal"good, settle then"
Cal turns to go, putting a protective arm around Rose and taking Josephine hand , and leans close to Gracie has they walk away.
Cal"this should be amusing"
Jack(as Lovejoy passes) can I bum a cigarette?
Lovejoy smoothly draws a silver cigarette case from his jacket and snaps it open.jack takes a cigarette,then another putting it behind his ear for later. Lovejoy lights Jack's cigarette.
Lovejoy"might want to tie those (as he looks at his shoes) interesting that the young lady slipped so mighty all the sudden, and you still had time to remove your jacket and shoes.
Mmm?
Lovejoy's expression is bland, but the eyes are cold. He turns away to join his group.