Chapter 7

“What the butt was that??” I blurted when we were finally close to the house.  Harry had remained quiet the whole drive out of the city, which wasn’t a very long one since I was speeding the whole way.  Harry cocked his head at my choice of words, but I didn’t notice.  Clark hadn’t let me cuss in so long that I barely noticed the strange things I said anymore. “You can’t just drag me into something like that and then not explain who or what or why or-“

“Geez well if you would shut the hell up, I would tell you,” Harry snapped.  I gripped the steering wheel more tightly and pressed a little harder on the gas pedal.

“They were the three guys who beat me up a while back.  Marcus’ guys.  Probably want the money that Marcus paid me off with back.  Two of them followed me into the bathroom at the restaurant and I beat them up pretty badly.  How did you get away from the third?”

“I just pretended like I was a waitress.  Snuck past him.”

“And he bought it?” Harry asked, sounding surprised.

“I’m here, aren’t I?”

Harry raised his eyebrows at my snappy response and looked out the window.  “I just don’t know how they spotted me in the first place...”

“Well I would hardly consider your disguise ‘top notch’,” I grumbled, earning me a dark look from Harry.  “Don’t glare at me,” I said.  “We shouldn’t have been out there anyway.”

As we pulled up to the gates at the front of the driveway, Harry rudely leaned his entire body over me and rolled down my window so that he could scan his card and unlock the gates.  This might sound gross, but his cologne mixed with his sweat from running just made him smell even more heavenly than he usually did.  I grunted as he shouldered me in the chin when he leaned back into his seat before speaking.

“Quit acting like you know where I should and shouldn’t be.”

I laughed harshly.  “I’ve been told by multiple people that you aren’t supposed to be out of the house.  I know exactly where you should and shouldn’t be!”

Harry slammed his fist on the dashboard. “I’m not paying you to yell at me for leaving the house!!”

“Well you’re also not paying me to be chased through New York late at night from three gigantic THUGS!  They could have beat me up or taken me hostage or-”

“You think you’re so special, don’t you? They don’t care about you. They want me!” Harry shouted at me.  The small space of the car just made his voice even louder.  I winced.

“They saw me with you, Harry.  They could think I was a girlfriend or somethi-“

“No.”

I gasped as Harry shut down that idea as quickly as he did.  “Well you might not like the idea but that could have been what they were thinking!  And then they would use me to get to you!! Don’t you understand??”

“They don’t care about you, they just want me-“ Harry repeated, crossing his arms across his chest. 

“God, you're not even listening to me,” I blurted. When Harry didn’t respond, it was my turn to growl.  “You are so freaking stupid!!” I yelled.

I skidded to a halt in front on the gravel in front of the house.  Harry and I both bailed out of the car and slammed our doors simultaneously.  He glared at me across the top of the car, his nostrils flaring.  I caught myself doing the exact same thing to him.  He was such a butthead… but ugh, did that beanie look good on him.  KENNEDY, STOP THINKING THINGS LIKE THAT.