Chapter 10

“I really just wish you would tell me who we were meeting or where we were going or maybe where the hell you were this morning?”  Clark was complaining.  As usual.

“I told you,” I called from my room. “I was working this morning.  And we’re going to meet my boss for lunch.” 

“It’s Saturday,” Clark said, poking his head into my room.  “You aren’t supposed to work Saturdays.”  He was tying his tie around his neck, this horrible-looking blue and yellow stripped thing.  He was wearing khakis and a blue blazer that just didn’t fit him correctly.  It all looked baggy and unkempt.  I knew Clark was a pretty fit, but his clothing almost made him look fat.  That aside, I told him to dress nicely and he got dressed like he was going to work as a school teacher.  Awesome.  Clark's appearance had never bothered me before, but now that he was about to meet someone like Harry, every little detail was bothering me. 

“I know I'm not supposed to work Saturdays, but my boss wanted me to make him breakfast this morning.”

“Are you still not going to tell me who ‘he’ is?”

I shook my head.  I was proud of myself for being able to keep the secret from Clark for so long. 

Or maybe that was something I shouldn't be proud of.  Clark and I used to tell each other everything... 

Clark grumbled to himself.  “You never make me breakfast at 6 in the morning.  You’re supposed to be mine on Saturdays and Sundays.”

I rolled my eyes. “Not like that means much.”

Clark made a tsk noise with his tongue and walked to me as I fixed my hair in the mirror.  I decided to leave it down for once, feeling a strange need to impress Harry with my looks too. “What is with you?” Clark asked, pushing me sideways gently so that he could see himself in the mirror.

I sighed. “Nothing, Clark.”

“Kennedy, please tell me.”

I turned to face him.  The black heels I was wearing raised me up a solid four inches, putting me nearly at Clark's height.  “I’m just a little pissed that you ‘fell asleep’ at work and then ‘fell asleep’ again after I called you and woke you up,” I said, using my fingers to make air quotes.  “Why couldn’t you come home last night when I called?  Why did you have to stay there until this morning?  Was someone holding you up?”

Clark pouted, but more in an irritated way as he marched out of my room. “I told you, Kennedy.  I had more work to do and I accidentally fell asleep again... geez, it’s like you don’t listen…” He looked back into my room. “You’re being such a witch today.”

My jaw tightened.  I knew Clark called me a “witch” when he really meant “bitch.”  Why did I have to bring him on this date?  Why couldn’t I go on a date with Harry by myself?  I felt as good as ever, wearing a pair of black skinny jeans that I had bought that morning and a new light-blue silk shirt that I never really had the chance to wear.  My heels made my legs look like they went on for days and my silver jewelry gave me just the sparkle I needed to stand out.

Clark asked me thirty times who we were going to meet for lunch in the five minutes we waited outside for the black car to arrive.  He almost sounded like one of his childish students, standing with his arms crossed and repeating, "Who is it? Who is it? Who is it? Who is it?" When Garf pulled up in front of the apartment, Clark seemed hesitant to get into the car.  Despite the fact that he had met Garf once before, he backed away from Garf's outstretched hand.  I shot Clark a piercing look and jerked my head toward Garf, urging Clark to shake hands and introduce himself again.  Why was he being so rude?