Chapter 22

When I woke up beside Harry the next morning, I was having mixed feelings like never before.  On one hand, I was furious with myself for giving in so easily and just coming back to the house with him after all of those hurtful things he said to me.  I could have at least made him sleep one more night alone knowing that I was just two floors beneath him.  On the other hand, he looked beyond perfect as the sun shone through his window onto his face and his brown locks of hair dangled all around his face messily.  I loved it when you could just barely see the stubble above his lip and along his sharp jawline.  When his eyes fluttered open and met mine, the seemed to reflect a million different shades of green and gray before deciding on one and morphing to that color.   It was wild.  I tried not to stare for too long, but instead shimmied my way out of Harry’s arms and stood up to leave.

“You’re not staying?” He half-whined, half-grumbled.

I shook my head as I walked to the door. “Why would I?”

“To snuggle?”

His voice made me want to turn around and full-on sprint back to the bed, but I couldn’t let myself.  Harry had to know that he couldn’t just toss me around and get away with it.  I wasn’t going to put up with that.  He was just making it hard.  My brain was beginning to hurt.  I never had to try and stay mad at Clark… it just happened.  Every time I looked at Harry, I had to force myself not to jump on him and start kissing his face.

“Snuggle with your teddybear, Harry.  I have to make breakfast for Lou.”

“Since when did you start calling him Lou??”

“Since right now.”

Harry pouted. “He’s not hungry.”

“You don’t know that.”

“Well you don’t know that he is hungry.”

“Harry…”

“Kennedy… please come back to bed, baby.”

Baby.  He called me baby.  A wave of warmth shot through my chest.  Harry must have caught onto my hesitation because his voice seemed to be laced with a little more temptation as he called me again slowly.

Baby…”

“No, Harry,” I finally spat out before taking off down the stairs.  Dammit, he knew exactly how to play me.

To my dismay, Louis didn’t wake up in time for breakfast, but he did come find me for lunch.  He hugged me so tight that I thought my head was going to pop off.  “Praise the lord you’re back.  Harry kept trying to make these intense dishes like you do and he failed miserably every time.  I have ended up eating more cold pizza in the last four days than I ever care to again in my life.”

Harry?  Cooking?

As I was slicing up tomatoes for my Beef Barley Soup, Harry came into the kitchen and walked up behind me.  He slid a hand around my waist and leaned down to kiss me on my cheek, but I slipped out of his grasp and dodged the kiss quickly.  Louis laughed loudly at the disappointed look on Harry’s face, and I was even trying hard not to laugh myself.  I scooped up a handful of diced tomatoes from the board and made my way to the pot of boiling broth on the stove.  When I turned around again, Harry was picking a few pieces of tomatoes off of the cutting board.  Quickly, I grasped my knife in my hand and stabbed the blade into the cutting board beside Harry’s hand.  He dropped the tomatoes and retracted his hand instantly, but didn’t step away from me.

“Hands off,” I said. “I need those for your lunch.”

“I can’t have one??”

“No,” I said sternly. “You can’t.”